The impact of Dutch works councils according to managers
Although works councils have, by and large, equally extensive legal rights in Germany and the Netherlands, this is the first econometric analysis that investigates the influence of Dutch works councils on firm performance. We use a nation-wide Dutch dataset with information on managementâ€™s perceptions of the works councilâ€™s impact on their firmsâ€™ efficiency and innovation. Inspired by the German study of Jirjahn and Smith (2006), we analyze which determinants influence managementâ€™s attitude toward employee participation in the Netherlands. We establish a preponderant influence emanating from the works councilâ€™s role attitude and managementâ€™s leadership style.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht|
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T., 2005.
"The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High Performance Work Practices,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1620, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison, 2005. "The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High Performance Work Practices," GEMF Working Papers 2005-03, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Hübler, Olaf & Jirjahn, Uwe, 2001.
"Works Councils and Collective Bargaining in Germany: The Impact on Productivity and Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
322, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olaf H¸bler & Uwe Jirjahn, 2003. "Works Councils and Collective Bargaining in Germany: The Impact on Productivity and Wages," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 471-491, 09.
- Addison, John T & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2001. "Work Councils in Germany: Their Effects on Establishment Performance," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 659-694, October.
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2004.
"The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 255-281, 06.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "The course of research into the economic consequences of German works councils," Discussion Papers 22, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils," IZA Discussion Papers 878, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Annette van den Berg, 2004. "The Contribution of Work Representation to Solving the Governance Structure Problem," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 8(2), pages 129-148.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:use:tkiwps:0914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.