Economic impact of a new museum on the local economy: "The Gaudí Centre"
In this paper we analyse the economic impact of a new museum (the Gaudí Centre) on the local economy of Reus, a city in the province of Tarragona (southern Catalonia). We use a Keynesian income multiplier model to evaluate the effects of this new cultural venue on local income. In our calculation of the economic impact we distinguish between two phases: the construction phase and the exploitation phase. Our results show the important income impact of this cultural investment on the local economy.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. de la Universitat,1 - 43204 Reus (Tarragona)|
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brownrigg, Mark, 1971. "The Regional Income Multiplier: An Attempt to Complete the Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(3), pages 281-97, November.
- Bruce A. Seaman, 2003.
"Economics impact of the arts,"
in: A Handbook of Cultural Economics, chapter 27
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Beatriz Plaza, 2006. "The Return on Investment of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 452-467, 06.
- Jolanta Dziembowska-Kowalska & Rolf H. Funck, 2000. "Cultural activities as a location factor in European competition between regions: Concepts and some evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(1), pages 1-12.
- Peter Johnson & Barry Thomas, 1998. "The Economics of Museums: A Research Perspective," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 75-85, June.
- Dick Stanley & Judy Rogers & Sandra Smeltzer & Luc Perron, 2000. "Win, Place or Show: Gauging the Economic Success of the Renoir and Barnes Art Exhibits," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 243-255, August.
- Sarah Skinner, 2006. "Estimating the real growth effects of blockbuster art exhibits: A time series approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 109-125, September.
- Bernadette Quinn, 2005. "Arts Festivals and the City," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 42(5-6), pages 927-943, May.
- McGuire, Alistair J, 1983. "The Regional Income and Employment Impacts of Nuclear Power Stations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 30(3), pages 264-74, November.
- Eric Thompson & Mark Berger & Glenn Blomquist & Steven Allen, 2002. "Valuing the Arts: A Contingent Valuation Approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 87-113, May.
- Greig, Michael A, 1971. "The Regional Income and Employment Multiplier Effects of a Pulp Mill and Paper Mill," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(1), pages 31-48, February.
- Bruno Frey, 1998. "Superstar Museums: An Economic Analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 113-125, June.
- Ricardo Gazel & R. Schwer, 1997. "Beyond Rock and Roll: The Economic Impact of the Grateful Dead on a Local Economy," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 41-55, March.
- Melville Saayman & Andrea Saayman, 2006. "Does the location of arts festivals matter for the economic impact?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 569-584, November.
- Lluis Bonet, 2003. "Cultural tourism," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Cultural Economics, chapter 23 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/9529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.