Economic impact of a new museum on the local economy: "The Gaudí Centre"
In this paper we analyse the economic impact of a new museum (the Gaudí Centre) on the local economy of Reus, a city in the province of Tarragona (southern Catalonia). We use a Keynesian income multiplier model to evaluate the effects of this new cultural venue on local income. In our calculation of the economic impact we distinguish between two phases: the construction phase and the exploitation phase. Our results show the important income impact of this cultural investment on the local economy.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. de la Universitat,1 - 43204 Reus (Tarragona)|
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.cat
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beatriz Plaza, 2006. "The Return on Investment of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 452-467, 06.
- Eric Thompson & Mark Berger & Glenn Blomquist & Steven Allen, 2002. "Valuing the Arts: A Contingent Valuation Approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 87-113, May.
- Jolanta Dziembowska-Kowalska & Rolf H. Funck, 2000. "Cultural activities as a location factor in European competition between regions: Concepts and some evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(1), pages 1-12.
- Bruce A. Seaman, 2003.
"Economics impact of the arts,"
in: A Handbook of Cultural Economics, chapter 27
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ricardo Gazel & R. Schwer, 1997. "Beyond Rock and Roll: The Economic Impact of the Grateful Dead on a Local Economy," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 41-55, March.
- Bruno Frey, 1998. "Superstar Museums: An Economic Analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 113-125, June.
- Dick Stanley & Judy Rogers & Sandra Smeltzer & Luc Perron, 2000. "Win, Place or Show: Gauging the Economic Success of the Renoir and Barnes Art Exhibits," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 243-255, August.
- Sarah Skinner, 2006. "Estimating the real growth effects of blockbuster art exhibits: A time series approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 109-125, September.
- Bernadette Quinn, 2005. "Arts Festivals and the City," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 42(5-6), pages 927-943, May.
- Melville Saayman & Andrea Saayman, 2006. "Does the location of arts festivals matter for the economic impact?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 569-584, November.
- Greig, Michael A, 1971. "The Regional Income and Employment Multiplier Effects of a Pulp Mill and Paper Mill," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(1), pages 31-48, February.
- McGuire, Alistair J, 1983. "The Regional Income and Employment Impacts of Nuclear Power Stations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 30(3), pages 264-74, November.
- Lluis Bonet, 2003. "Cultural tourism," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Cultural Economics, chapter 23 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Peter Johnson & Barry Thomas, 1998. "The Economics of Museums: A Research Perspective," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 75-85, June.
- Brownrigg, Mark, 1971. "The Regional Income Multiplier: An Attempt to Complete the Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(3), pages 281-97, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/9529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.