Single mothers and incentives to work: The French experience
This paper analyzes the effect of the 1998 reform of the French single parents allowance on the labor supply of single mothers with very young children. The reform aimed at encouraging participation by allowing eligible single parents to accumulate benefits and labor earnings for a limited period of time. Using data from the French Employment Survey, the analysis shows that single mothers affected by the reform had experienced a significant increase in their employment rate four years after the reform was implemented. During the same period, the employment rate of married mothers with young children did not experience a significant change, suggesting that at least part of the increase was a consequence of the reform. These results provide some evidence that benefit schedules that provide financial incentives to work can have significant effects in getting single moms back to work, even in the presence of very young children.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gurgand, M. & Margolis, D., 2001.
"RMI et revenus du travail : une evaluation des gains financiers a l'emploi,"
Dossiers de recherche-
09, Centre d'etudes de l'emploi.
- Marc Gurgand & David Margolis, 2001. "RMI et revenus du travail : une évaluation des gains financiers à l'emploi," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 346(1), pages 103-122.
- Marc Gurgand & David Margolis, 2001. "RMI et revenus de travail : une évaluation des gains financier à l'emploi," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00353839, HAL.
- Eissa, Nada & Kleven, Henrik Jacobsen & Kreiner, Claus Thustrup, 2008.
"Evaluation of four tax reforms in the United States: Labor supply and welfare effects for single mothers,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 795-816, April.
- Nada Eissa & Henrik Jacobsen Kleven & Claus Thustrup Kreiner, 2004. "Evaluation of Four Tax Reforms in the United States: Labor Supply and Welfare Effects for Single Mothers," NBER Working Papers 10935, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Gurgand & David Margolis, 2005.
"Does work pay in France ? Monetary incentives and the guaranteed minimum income,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gurgand, Marc & Margolis, David N., 2005. "Does Work Pay in France? Monetary Incentives and the Guaranteed Minimum Income," IZA Discussion Papers 1467, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marc Gurgand & David Margolis, 2005. "Does work pay in France? Monetary incentives and the guaranteed minimum income," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05002, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 2000.
"Parental Employment and Child Cognitive Development,"
NBER Working Papers
7666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 2004. "Parental Employment and Child Cognitive Development," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(1).
- Gonzalez, Libertad, 2004. "Single Mothers and Work," IZA Discussion Papers 1097, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul Gregg & Susan Harkness, 2003. "Welfare Reform and Lone Parents Employment in the UK," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/072, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Paul Gregg & Elizabeth Washbrook & Carol Propper & Simon Burgess, 2005. "The Effects of a Mother's Return to Work Decision on Child Development in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(501), pages F48-F80, 02.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Lone Mothers' Employment and Full-Time Work Probabilities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 310-20, March.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00193282 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Card, 1991. "Intertemporal Labor Supply: An Assessment," NBER Working Papers 3602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014.
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1oclgdahv98, Sciences Po.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014. "Labor Economics," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01076752, HAL.
- John F. Ermisch & Robert E. Wright, 1991. "Welfare Benefits and Lone Parents' Employment in Great Britain," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(3), pages 424-456.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.