Male use of parental leave in Luxembourg : empirical analysis of administrative records
The study investigates the decisions of fathers to use parental leave at the individual level. The focus is on the opportunity cost fathers would face for using the leave. Opportunity cost is measured in two ways as the difference between the parental leave benefit and the salary of the father and as the mean salary growth for a period of six months. The first measure is a proxy for the direct opportunity cost, while the second aims to capture opportunity costs of being away fromthe workplace in terms of foregone promotion opportunities. Data for the analysis are based on anonymous administrative records of fathers working in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The analysis deploys a duration model to investigate fathers use of parental leave throughout an observation period of five years. The results of the study suggest a negative, although non-linear, relationship between foregone income and the hazard of taking parental leave. Surprisingly, however, salary growth in the six-month period prior to taking parental leave has a positive, rather than a negative effect on the hazard of taking parental leave.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunello, Giorgio & Comi, Simona, 2000.
"Education and Earnings Growth: Evidence from 11 European Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
140, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brunello, Giorgio & Comi, Simona, 2004. "Education and earnings growth: evidence from 11 European countries," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 75-83, February.
- Jérôme De Henau & Danièle Meulders & Sile Padraigin O'Dorchai, 2007. "Parents' care and career: comparing parental leave policies," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9277, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ekberg, John & Eriksson, Rickard & Friebel, Guido, 2005.
"Parental Leave – A Policy Evaluation of the Swedish "Daddy-Month" Reform,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1617, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ekberg, John & Eriksson, Rickard & Friebel, Guido, 2013. "Parental leave — A policy evaluation of the Swedish “Daddy-Month” reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 131-143.
- Anna Amilon, 2007. "On the sharing of temporary parental leave: the case of Sweden," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 385-404, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2013045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.