Exploring the panel components of the Institutional Profiles Database (IPD)
The Institutional Profiles Database (IPD) produced by the Agence Francaise de Developpement (AFD) has been carried out in 2001, 2006 and 2009, and a new wave is planned for 2012. Although the structure of the surveys varies greatly between 2006 and 2009, the similarity of a substantial proportion of the questions allows for exploring and exploiting the panel components of the database. This paper presents some general patterns of short-term institutional change, aided by a conceptual classification of the institutional variables. It tests two hypotheses in a preliminary way: a) that institutions tend to score higher over time, and b) that institutions tend to converge across countries. Additionally, it explores associations between institutions and growth for the period 2001-2009.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2005.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(5), pages 949-995, October.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- North,Douglass C. & Wallis,John Joseph & Weingast,Barry R., 2013.
"Violence and Social Orders,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107646995.
- Hadenius,Axel, 1992. "Democracy and Development," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521416856.
- Crombrugghe, Denis de & Farla, Kristine, 2012. "Preliminary conclusions on institutions and economic performance," MERIT Working Papers 035, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Tsebelis, George, 1995. "Decision Making in Political Systems: Veto Players in Presidentialism, Parliamentarism, Multicameralism and Multipartyism," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 289-325, July.
- Kingston, Christopher & Caballero, Gonzalo, 2009. "Comparing theories of institutional change," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 151-180, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2012037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.