Shareholder Activism and the Role of Marketing: A Framework for Analyzing and Managing Investor Relations
This paper proposes a conceptual framework that shows the role of (the) marketing (function) in managing investor relations. The framework complements existing literature on the marketing-finance interface and explicitly includes investor relationships as market-based assets. The framework provides (the) marketing (function) with tools to analyze and manage investor relations in order to improve companies’ market performance and increase shareholder value by lowering the costs of shareholder activism. Three real-life scenarios of shareholder activism demonstrate the implications of the framework for marketing practice.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rui Albuquerue & Neng Wang, 2008.
"Agency Conflicts, Investment, and Asset Pricing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(1), pages 1-40, 02.
- Neng Wang & Rui Albuquerque, 2005. "Agency Conflicts, Investment, and Asset Pricing," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 351, Society for Computational Economics.
- Rui Albuquerque & Neng Wang, 2007. "Agency Conflicts, Investment, and Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 13251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Albuquerque, Rui & Wang, Neng, 2005. "Agency Conflicts, Investment and Asset Pricing," CEPR Discussion Papers 4955, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ted O'Donoghue and Matthew Rabin ., 1997.
"Doing It Now or Later,"
Economics Working Papers
97-253, University of California at Berkeley.
- O'Donoghue, Ted & Rabin, Matthew, 1997. "Doing It Now or Later," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7t44m5b0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ted O'Donoghue & Matthew Rabin, 1996. "Doing It Now or Later," Discussion Papers 1172, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Ale Smidts, 2000. "Assessing the Construct Validity of Risk Attitude," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(10), pages 1337-1348, October.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 2000. "Behavioral Portfolio Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(02), pages 127-151, June.
- James S. Ang & Rebel A. Cole & James Wuh Lin, 2000. "Agency Costs and Ownership Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 81-106, 02.
- Joost M. E. Pennings, 2004. "Channel Contract Behavior: The Role of Risk Attitudes, Risk Perceptions, And Channel Members' Market Structures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 697-724, October.
- Alexander Klos & Elke U. Weber & Martin Weber, 2005. "Investment Decisions and Time Horizon: Risk Perception and Risk Behavior in Repeated Gambles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(12), pages 1777-1790, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1998.
"Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-278, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hayne E. Leland, 1998. "Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1213-1243, 08.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Chaney, Paul K & Devinney, Timothy M & Winer, Russell S, 1991. "The Impact of New Product Introductions on the Market Value of Firms," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(4), pages 573-610, October.
- Jennifer N. Carpenter, 2000. "Does Option Compensation Increase Managerial Risk Appetite?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2311-2331, October.
- Neil Brisley, 2006. "Executive Stock Options: Early Exercise Provisions and Risk-taking Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(5), pages 2487-2509, October.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Olga Isengildina-Massa & Scott H. Irwin & Philip Garcia & Darrel L. Good, 2008. "Producers' complex risk management choices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(1), pages 31-54.
- Hosseini, Jamshid C. & Brenner, Steven N., 1992. "The Stakeholder Theory of the Firm: A Methodology to Generate Value Matrix Weights," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 99-119, April.
- Turnbull, Stuart M, 1979. "Debt Capacity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(4), pages 931-940, September.
- David Easley & Maureen O'hara, 2004. "Information and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1553-1583, 08.
- Hayagreeva Rao & Kumar Sivakumar, 1999. "Institutional Sources of Boundary-Spanning Structures: The Establishment of Investor Relations Departments in the Fortune 500 Industrials," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Mauer, David C & Triantis, Alexander J, 1994. " Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions: A Dynamic Framework," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1253-1277, September.
- Read, Daniel & Loewenstein, George & Rabin, Matthew, 1999. "Choice Bracketing," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 19(1-3), pages 171-197, December.
- Pennings, Joost M. E., 2004. "A marketing-finance approach towards industrial channel contract relationships: a model and application," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 601-609, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2008007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.