Prices versus Exams as Strategic Instruments for Competing Universities
In this paper we investigate the optimal choice of prices and/or exams by universities in the presence of credit constraints. We first compare the optimal behavior of a public, welfare maximizing, monopoly and a private, profit maximizing, monopoly. Then we model competition between a public and a private institution and investigate the new role of exams/prices in this environment. We find that, under certain circumstances, the public university may have an interest to rise tuition fees from minimum levels if it cares for global welfare. This will be the case provided that (i) the private institution has higher quality and uses only prices to select applicants, or (ii) the private institution has lower quality and uses also exams to select students. When this is the case, there are efficiency grounds for raising public prices.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: FCEE. Campus Montilivi. 17071 Girona. Spain.|
Web page: http://www.udg.edu/depec
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Romero & Elena del Rey, 2004. "Competition Between Public And Private Universities: Quality, Prices And Exams," Economics Working Papers we046423, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1990. " Game Theoretic Models of Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17.
- Fernandez, R., 1998.
"Education and Borrowing Constraints: Tests vs Prices,"
98-17, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Raquel Fernandez, 1998. "Education and Borrowing Constraints: Tests vs. Prices," NBER Working Papers 6588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernández, Raquel, 1998. "Education and Borrowing Constraints: Tests Vs. Prices," CEPR Discussion Papers 1913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gary-Bobo & Alain Trannoy, 2005.
"Efficient Tuition & Fees, Examinations, and Subsidies,"
IDEP Working Papers
0501, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 01 Mar 2005.
- Gary-Bobo, Robert J. & Trannoy, Alain, 2005. "Efficient Tuition & Fees, Examinations and Subsidies," CEPR Discussion Papers 5011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- CREMER,Â Helmuth & MARCHAND,Â Maurice & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
930, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udg:wpeudg:012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Germà Coenders)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.