Redistributive effects of indirect taxes: comparing arithmetical and behavioral simulations in Uruguay
In this brief paper we compare the redistributive effect of a VAT reform using an arithmetical and a behavioral microsimulation model. We analyze the effects of the elimination of the VAT for a basket of goods which is intensively consumed by the poorest population. Our microsimulations are based on data from the expenditure survey. The behavioral model uses the Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System (QUAIDS) proposed by Banks et al (1997). Our results indicate that the change in the VAT implies a redistributive effect of small magnitude. The comparison of redistributive effects under the arithmetic and the behavioral simulation reveals that they are very similar.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amadéo Spadaro & François Bourguignon, 2006.
"Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies,"
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 77-106, April.
- François Bourguignon & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590863, HAL.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies," Working Papers 20, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:2311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.