A Multi-Criteria Portfolio Analysis of Hedge Fund Strategies
This paper features a tri-criteria analysis of Eurekahedge fund data strategy index data. We use nine Eurekahedge equally weighted main strategy indices for the portfolio analysis. The tri-criteria analysis features three objectives: return, risk and dispersion of risk objectives in a Multi-Criteria Optimisation (MCO) portfolio analysis. We vary the MCO return and risk targets and contrast the results with four more standard portfolio optimisation criteria, namely the tangency portfolio (MSR), the most diversi_ed portfolio (MDP), the global minimum variance portfolio (GMW), and portfolios based on minimising expected shortfall (ERC). Backtests of the chosen portfolios for this hedge fund data set indicate that the use of MCO is accompanied by uncertainty about the a priori choice of optimal parameter settings for the decision criteria. The empirical results do not appear to outperform more standard bi-criteria portfolio analyses in the backtests undertaken on our hedge fund index data.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor DeMiguel & Lorenzo Garlappi & Raman Uppal, 2009. "Optimal Versus Naive Diversification: How Inefficient is the 1-N Portfolio Strategy?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(5), pages 1915-1953, May.
- Barry, Christopher B, 1974. "Portfolio Analysis under Uncertain Means, Variances, and Covariances," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 515-522, May.
- Turan G. Bali & Stephen J. Brown & K. Ozgur Demirtas, 2013. "Do Hedge Funds Outperform Stocks and Bonds?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(8), pages 1887-1903, August.
- Spronk, J. & Hallerbach, W.G.P.M., 2002. "The Relevance of MCDM for Financial Decisions," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-69-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Utz, Sebastian & Wimmer, Maximilian & Steuer, Ralph E., 2015. "Tri-criterion modeling for constructing more-sustainable mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 246(1), pages 331-338.
- Ralph Steuer & Yue Qi & Markus Hirschberger, 2007. "Suitable-portfolio investors, nondominated frontier sensitivity, and the effect of multiple objectives on standard portfolio selection," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 297-317, July.
- Zabarankin, Michael & Pavlikov, Konstantin & Uryasev, Stan, 2014. "Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) with drawdown measure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(2), pages 508-517.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-278, July.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, March.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stan & Zabarankin, Michael, 2006. "Master funds in portfolio analysis with general deviation measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 743-778, February.
- David E. Allen & Michael McAleer & Robert J. Powell & Abhay K. Singh, 2016. "Down-Side Risk Metrics as Portfolio Diversification Strategies across the Global Financial Crisis," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(2), pages 1-18, June.
- Jyrki Wallenius & James S. Dyer & Peter C. Fishburn & Ralph E. Steuer & Stanley Zionts & Kalyanmoy Deb, 2008. "Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Theory: Recent Accomplishments and What Lies Ahead," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(7), pages 1336-1349, July.
- Michael S. O’Doherty & N. E. Savin & Ashish Tiwari, 2016. "Evaluating Hedge Funds with Pooled Benchmarks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 62(1), pages 69-89, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:1703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.