The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Nonclearing Markets
In this paper we measure the welfare cost of fluctuations in a simple representative agent economy with nonclearing markets. The market friction we consider involves price rigidities and a voluntary exchange rationing scheme. These features are incorporated into an otherwise standard neoclassical growth model. We show that the frictions we introduce make the losses from fluctuations much bigger than in a frictionless environment.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aude Pommeret & Anne Epaulard, 2001.
"Recursive Utility, Endogenous Growth, and the Welfare Cost of Volatility,"
IMF Working Papers
01/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Anne Epaulard & Aude Pommeret, 2003. "Recursive Utility, Endogenous Growth, and the Welfare Cost of Volatility," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(3), pages 672-684, July.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995.
"Evaluating Risky Consumption Paths: The Role of Intertemporal Substitutability,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1994. "Evaluating risky consumption paths: The role of intertemporal substitutability," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1471-1486, August.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Nonclearing Markets: Microeconomic Concepts and Macroeconomic Applications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 732-61, June.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., 1999.
"On the Welfare Effects of Eliminating Business Cycles,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 245-272, January.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "On the Welfare Effects of Eliminating Business Cycles," GSIA Working Papers 243, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Andrew Atkeson & Christopher Phelan, 1994.
"Reconsidering the Costs of Business Cycles with Incomplete Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Atkeson & Christopher Phelan, 1994. "Reconsidering the Costs of Business Cycles with Incomplete Markets," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1994, Volume 9, pages 187-218 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imrohoruglu, Ayse, 1989. "Cost of Business Cycles with Indivisibilities and Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1364-83, December.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:0403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.