The demand of business services in Spain
The growth in the outsourcing of services has become one of the most relevant features of the changes in manufacturing firms’ behaviour. This paper provides empirical evidence about the extent and evolution of services outsourcing by Spanish manufacturing firms in 1990-1998. A general increase in outsourcing of services has been detected among firms in this period, although with strong differences across sectors and kind of services. Additionally, this paper studies the decision to outsource, devoting particular attention to the relationship between outsourcing and productivity. The results show the influence of variables such as firm size, ownership and location, among others.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Plaza de la Victoria, 2 C.P. 28802, Alcalá de Henares|
Phone: (00 34) 91 885 52 25
Fax: (00 34) 91 885 52 21
Web page: http://www.iaes.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacobson, Louis S & LaLonde, Robert J & Sullivan, Daniel G, 1993.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 685-709, September.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings losses of displaced workers," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- O'Farrell, Patrick N, 1995. "Manufacturing Demand for Business Services," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 523-543, August.
- Fixler, Dennis J. & Siegel, Donald, 1999. "Outsourcing and productivity growth in services," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 177-194, June.
- Abraham, Katharine G & Taylor, Susan K, 1996. "Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(3), pages 394-424, July.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan K. Taylor, 1993. "Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4468, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Siegel & Zvi Griliches, 1992. "Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing," NBER Chapters,in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 429-460 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Siegel & Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 3678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roodhooft, Filip & Warlop, Luk, 1999. "On the role of sunk costs and asset specificity in outsourcing decisions: a research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 363-369, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uae:wpaper:0201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Suarez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.