Doctors' remuneration schemes and hospital competition in two-sided markets with common network externalities
This paper uses a two-sided market model of hospital competition to study the implications of different remunerations schemes on the physicians’ side. The two-sided market approach is characterized by the concept of common network externality (CNE) introduced by Bardey et al. (2010). This type of externality occurs when occurs when both sides value, possibly with different intensities, the same network externality. We explicitly introduce e¤ort exerted by doctors. By increasing the number of medical acts (which involves a costly effort) the doctor can increase the quality of service offered to patients (over and above the level implied by the CNE). We fi rst consider pure salary, capitation or fee-for-service schemes. Then, we study schemes that mix fee-for-service with either salary or capitation payments. We show that salary schemes (either pure or in combination with fee-for-service) are more patient friendly than (pure or mixed) capitations schemes. This comparison is exactly reversed on the providers’ side. Quite surprisingly, patients always loose when a fee-for-service scheme is introduced (pure of mixed). This is true even though the fee-for-service is the only way to induce the providers to exert e¤ort and it holds whatever the patients’ valuation of this effort. In other words, the increase in quality brought about by the fee-for-service is more than compensated by the increase in fees faced by patients.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2011|
|Publication status:||Published in The B. E. Journal of Theoretical Economics (Contributions), vol.�12, n°1, novembre 2012.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2011.
"Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 444-469, 06.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2008. "Hospital competition and quality with regulated prices," NIPE Working Papers 06/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," CESifo Working Paper Series 2635, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bernard Fortin & Nicolas Jacquemet & Bruce Shearer, 2008.
"Policy Analysis in the health-services market: accounting for quality and quantity,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Bernard Fortin & Nicolas Jacquemet & Bruce Shearer, 2008. "Policy Analysis in the Health-Services Market: Accounting for Quality and Quantity," Cahiers de recherche 0807, CIRPEE.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform competition in two sided markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Mark Armstrong, 2006.
"Competition in two‐sided markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, 09.
- Gaynor, Martin & Pauly, Mark V, 1990. "Compensation and Productive Efficiency of Partnerships: Evidence from Medical Group Practice," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 544-73, June.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Robert Nuscheler & Odd Rune Straume, 2006.
"Quality and Location Choices under Price Regulation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 207-227, 03.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002. "Quality and location choices under price regulation," Working Papers in Economics 24/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002.
"Quality and location choices under price regulation
[Qualitäts- und Standortwahl bei Preisregulierung]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-28, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Cutler, David M. & Zeckhauser, Richard J., 2000.
"The anatomy of health insurance,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 563-643
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1996. "Reimbursing Health Plans and Health Providers: Efficiency in Production versus Selection," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1236-1263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:24907. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.