Optimal capture and sequestration from the carbon emission flow and from the atmospheric carbon stock with heterogeneous energy consuming sectors
We characterize the optimal exploitation paths of two primary energy resources. The first one is a non-renewable polluting resource, the second one a pollution-free renewable resource. Both resources can supply the energy needs of two sectors. Sector 1 is able to reduce the potential carbon emissions generated by its non-renewable energy consumption at a reasonable cost while sector 2 cannot. Another possibility is to capture the carbon spread in the atmosphere but at a significantly higher cost. We assume that the atmospheric carbon stock cannot exceed some given ceiling and that this constraint is effective. We show that there may exist paths along which it is optimal to begin by fully capturing the sector 1's potential emission flow before the ceiling constraint begins to be effective. Also there may exist optimal paths along which both capture devices have to be activated, in which case the potential emission flow of sector 1 is firrst fully abated and next the society must resort to the atmospheric carbon reducing device.
|Date of creation:||11 Feb 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Bulletin, vol. 35, n°4, octobre 2015, p. 2242-2251.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lafforgue, Gilles & Magné, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2008.
"Energy substitutions, climate change and carbon sinks,"
Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 589-597, November.
- Lafforgue, Gilles & Magné, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2007. "Energy Substitutions, Climate Change and Carbon Sinks," IDEI Working Papers 427, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- LAFFORGUE Gilles & MAGNE Bertrand & MOREAUX Michel, 2007. "Energy Substitutions, Climate change and Carbon sinks," LERNA Working Papers 07.01.222, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Reyer Gerlagh & Bob van der Zwaan, 2006. "Options and Instruments for a Deep Cut in CO2 Emissions: Carbon Dioxide Capture or Renewables, Taxes or Subsidies?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 25-48.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Bertrand Magne & Michel Moreaux, 2006. "Plafond de concentration en carbone et substitutions entre ressources énergétiques," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 81, pages 141-168.
- Lafforgue, Gilles & Magné, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2006. "Optimal Sequestration Policy with a Ceiling on the Stock of Carbon in the Atmosphere," IDEI Working Papers 401, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Magne, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2006. "A Hotelling model with a ceiling on the stock of pollution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2875-2904, December.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Bertrand Magne & Michel Moreaux, 2003. "A Hotelling Model with a Ceiling on the Stock of Pollution," Emory Economics 0321, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Magné, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2005. "A Hotelling Model with a Ceiling on the Stock of Pollution," IDEI Working Papers 368, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Edmonds, Jae & Clarke, John & Dooley, James & Kim, Son H. & Smith, Steven J., 2004. "Stabilization of CO2 in a B2 world: insights on the roles of carbon capture and disposal, hydrogen, and transportation technologies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 517-537, July.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2006:i:81:p:06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Magné, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2004. "Plafond de concentration atmosphérique en carbone et substitutions entre ressources énergétiques," IDEI Working Papers 260, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)