A Hedonic Model of Player Wage Determination from the Indian Premier League Auction#
A range of cross-sectional models are estimated with a view to establishing the factors that determine the valuation of professional athletes in a highly-specialised sport, with an application to crickets Indian Premier League (IPL). We distinguish between personal characteristic and playing ability factors, and with respect to the former, between ability in different forms of the sport. We find a number of interpretable variables that have explanatory power over auction values, while decomposition according to batting and bowling specialisations produces very different results depending on the use of either Test or One-Day International (ODI) variables. There is also possible evidence of inefficient bidding, insofar that overbidding was somewhat correlated with players with higher realised values.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/economics|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mita Bhattacharya & Russell Smyth, 2003. "The Game is Not the Same: The Demand for Test Match Cricket in Australia," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 77-90, 03.
- Conor Parsons & Ian Smith, 2008. "The Price of Thoroughbred Yearlings in Britain," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 9(1), pages 43-66, February.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Michael L. Bognanno, 1988.
"Do Tournaments Have Incentive Effects?,"
NBER Working Papers
2638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Brooks & Robert Faff & David Sokulsky, 2002. "An ordered response model of test cricket performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2353-2365.
- Peter Hans Matthews & Paul Sommers & Francisco Peschiera, 2007.
"Incentives and superstars on the LPGA Tour,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 87-94.
- Bodvarsson, Orn B & Brastow, Raymond T, 1998. "Do Employers Pay for Consistent Performance?: Evidence from the NBA," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 145-60, January.
- Liam J. A. Lenten, 2008. "Is The Decline In The Frequency Of Draws In Test Match Cricket Detrimental To The Long Form Of The Game?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 27(4), pages 364-380, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trb:wpaper:2010.04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.