"The Fable of the Keiretsu: "Keiretsu" in Keiretsu no Kenkyu"(in Japanese)
Basic as it has become to studies of the Japanese economy, the concept of the "Keiretsu" is sheer fiction -- a creature of the academic imagination with no basis in real economic behavior. Almost all scholars writing on the subject use the categorization found in the annual Keiretsu no kenkyu [Research on the Keiretsu]. Published by an otherwise unknown Marxist "research institute" since 1960, the volume purports to sort firms by functional groupings. In fact, it simply sorts them by their principal loan source. If that loan source proxied for some unobserved variable, this sorting might be helpful. In fact, it does not. For example, among keiretsu firms, there is little cross-shareholding. Indeed, the non-financial firms in a given keiretsu hold stock in few other keiretsu firms at all. Although financial firms do buy stock in their debtors, they seem as likely to buy the stock of their non-keiretsu debtors as of keiretsu debtors. The lending patterns of financial firms in a keiretsu are usually uncorrelated, and much the same is true of their shareholding patterns.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1993. "The Choice Between Public and Private Debt: An Analysis of Post-Deregulation Corporate Financing in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1998.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 193-225, March.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990.
"The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990. "The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Miwa, Yoshiro & Ramseyer, J Mark, 2002.
"Banks and Economic Growth: Implications from Japanese History,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 127-64, April.
- Miwa Yoshiro & J. Mark Ramseyer, 2000. "Banks and Economic Growth: Implications from Japanese History," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-87, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yoshiro Miwa & J. Mark Ramseyer, 1999. "The Value of Prominent Directors," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 279, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:1:p:169-215 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yoshiro Miwa & J. Mark Ramseyer, 1999.
"Corporate Governance in Transitional Economies: Lessons from the Pre-War Japanese Cotton Textile Industry,"
CIRJE-F-48, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Miwa, Yoshiro & Ramseyer, J Mark, 2000. "Corporate Governance in Transitional Economies: Lessons from the Prewar Japanese Cotton Textile Industry," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 171-203, January.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:115:y:2000:i:2:p:695-705 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:106:y:1991:i:1:p:33-60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities are not Valid Measures of Financing Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
7659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCloskey, Donald N, 1976. "Does the Past Have Useful Economics?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 434-61, June.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Flath, David, 1993. "Shareholding in the Keiretsu, Japan's Financial Groups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 249-57, May.
- Prowse, Stephen D, 1992. " The Structure of Corporate Ownership in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1121-40, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:jseres:2000cj38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.