Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching
After the commercial whaling moratorium was enacted in 1986, whale watching became one of the fastest growing tourism industries worldwide. As whaling was regarded as an activity incompatible with whale watching, the possible resumption of commercial whaling caused an urgent need to investigate the potential negative effects of whaling on the whale-watching industry. We examine the potential impacts of whaling on the global whale-watching tourism industry using unbalanced panel data model. The empirical results indicate that the resumption of commercial whaling has the potential for a negative effect on the global whale-watching industry, especially for nations that are engaged in whaling.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Horan & James Shortle, 1999. "Optimal Management of Multiple Renewable Resource Stocks: An Application to Minke Whales," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(4), pages 435-458, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521522717 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521818551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herrera, Guillermo E. & Hoagland, Porter, 2006. "Commercial whaling, tourism, and boycotts: An economic perspective," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 261-269, May.
- Bjørndal, Trond & Conrad, Jon M, 1998. "A report on the Norwegian minke whale hunt," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 161-174, March.
- Conrad, Jon M, 1989. "Bioeconomics and the Bowhead Whale," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 974-87, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2009cf634. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.