Leverage, heavy-tails and correlated jumps in stochastic volatility models
This paper proposes the efficient and fast Markov chain Monte Carlo estimation methods for the stochastic volatility model with leverage effects, heavy-tailed errors and jump components, and for the stochastic volatility model with correlated jumps. We illustrate our method using simulated data and analyze daily stock returns data on S&P500 index and TOPIX. Model comparisons are conducted based on the marginal likelihood for various SV models including the superposition model.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2002. "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 281-316, June.
- Masahito Kobayashi, 2005. "Testing for Volatility Jumps in the Stochastic Volatility Process," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 143-157, June.
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy, 2004.
"News Arrival, Jump Dynamics, and Volatility Components for Individual Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 755-793, 04.
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy, 2003. "News Arrival, Jump Dynamics and Volatility Components for Individual Stock Returns," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-38, CIRANO.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994.
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Yasuhiro Omori & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2007.
"Block Sampler and Posterior Mode Estimation for Asymmetric Stochastic Volatility Models,"
CIRJE-F-507, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Omori, Yasuhiro & Watanabe, Toshiaki, 2008. "Block sampler and posterior mode estimation for asymmetric stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2892-2910, February.
- Jun Yu, 2004.
"On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
506, Econometric Society.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometrics 9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- Mikhail Chernov & A. Ronald Gallant & Eric Ghysels & George Tauchen, 2002.
"Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamics,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Chib S. & Jeliazkov I., 2001. "Marginal Likelihood From the Metropolis-Hastings Output," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 270-281, March.
- Raggi, Davide & Bordignon, Silvano, 2006. "Comparing stochastic volatility models through Monte Carlo simulations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1678-1699, April.
- Omori, Yasuhiro & Chib, Siddhartha & Shephard, Neil & Nakajima, Jouchi, 2007. "Stochastic volatility with leverage: Fast and efficient likelihood inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 425-449, October.
- Siddhartha Chib & Ivan Jeliazkov, 2005. "Accept-reject Metropolis-Hastings sampling and marginal likelihood estimation," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(1), pages 30-44.
- Chan, Wing H & Maheu, John M, 2002. "Conditional Jump Dynamics in Stock Market Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 377-89, July.
- Bartolucci, F. & De Luca, G., 2003. "Likelihood-based inference for asymmetric stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 445-449, March.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G. & Rossi, P.E.Peter E., 2004. "Bayesian analysis of stochastic volatility models with fat-tails and correlated errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 185-212, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2007cf514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.