The competitive balance in the Italian football league: A taxonomic approach
This paper aims to investigate the dynamics of seasonal competitive balance in Italian Serie A in the last 45 years. Starting from the critics against the stylized conditions of worst competitive balance and using a taxonomic approach it provides a prominent role to the round played and to the position in standing in order to compose a better proxy for the uncertainty. It shows that the time trend rise in competitive unbalance can be dated from middle 90s, but can not be ascribed exclusively to the change in the points system.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2006.
"The impact of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some european football leagues,"
Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport,
Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 2(2), pages 67-76, Dicembre.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda, 2006. "The impacts of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some European footbal leagues," MPRA Paper 10798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Goddard & Peter J. Sloane, 2005. "Economics of sport," Chapters,in: Economics Uncut, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Marco Di Domizio, 2007. "La domanda di calcio in Italia: serie A 1962-2006," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 3(1), pages 71-90, Maggio.
- Brad R. Humphreys, 2002. "Alternative Measures of Competitive Balance in Sports Leagues," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(2), pages 133-148, May.
- Thomas Hoehn & Stefan Szymanski, 1999. "The Americanization of European football," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 203-240, 04. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ter:wpaper:0048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Di Bartolomeo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.