The competitive balance in the Italian football league: A taxonomic approach
This paper aims to investigate the dynamics of seasonal competitive balance in Italian Serie A in the last 45 years. Starting from the critics against the stylized conditions of worst competitive balance and using a taxonomic approach it provides a prominent role to the round played and to the position in standing in order to compose a better proxy for the uncertainty. It shows that the time trend rise in competitive unbalance can be dated from middle 90s, but can not be ascribed exclusively to the change in the points system.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen R. Sanderson & John J. Siegfried, 2003. "Thinking About Competitive Balance," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0318, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Thomas Hoehn & Stefan Szymanski, 1999. "The Americanization of European football," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 203-240, 04.
- Brad R. Humphreys, 2002. "Alternative Measures of Competitive Balance in Sports Leagues," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(2), pages 133-148, May.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda, 2006.
"The impacts of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some European footbal leagues,"
10798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2006. "The impact of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some european football leagues," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 2(2), pages 67-76, Dicembre.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521517140 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Di Domizio, 2007. "La domanda di calcio in Italia: serie A 1962-2006," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 3(1), pages 71-90, Maggio.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ter:wpaper:0048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Di Bartolomeo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.