Franchise Contracts with Ex Post Limited Liability
This paper examines the contracting relationship between a manufacturer and a retailer when the retailer has ex ante private information, and is subject to limited liability. The contract takes place over two periods. In the first period, the retailer can make a report of private information, or take an action, either of which in uences the manufacturer's beliefs about the distribution of demand states for a final good in the second period. In the second period, the retailer sells the manufacturers intermediate good into a final output market according to a variable fee schedule. The interaction of the limited liability constraints with incentive compatibility in the second stage gives rise to an expected surplus to the retailer, which the manufacturer can extract with a franchise fee. The franchise fee can also be used as a screening device or a means of eliciting the efficient first stage action from the retailer.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:||05 Oct 2010|
|Publication status:||Published by the University of Tasmania. Discussion paper 2010-10|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 85, Hobart, Tasmania 7001|
Phone: +61 3 6226 7672
Fax: +61 3 6226 7587
Web page: http://www.utas.edu.au/business-and-economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith J. Crocker, 1983. "Vertical Integration and the Strategic use of Private Information," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 236-250, Spring.
- Oliver D. Hart & Jean Tirole, 1987.
"Contract Renegotiation and Coasian Dynamics,"
442, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- Salvatore Piccolo & David Martimort, 2003.
"Resale Price Maintenance under Asymmetric Information,"
CSEF Working Papers
107, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Apr 2007.
- Martimort, David & Piccolo, Salvatore, 2007. "Resale price maintenance under asymmetric information," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 315-339, April.
- Sappington, David, 1983. "Limited liability contracts between principal and agent," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-21, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tas:wpaper:10281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitali Alexeev)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.