Small Business Redefined: A Quasi-Linear Fuzzy Classification of Firm Size
The quasi-linear fuzzy modelling of Filev (1991) is used to estimate the relationship between the number of managers and employees in a firm. The results form the basis for the classification of firms into small and large businesses. Application to a data of Australian firms shows an evolution episode during which firms are driven by various transitional forces. The composition of the transition region suggests that the 2011 small business tax-break cap set by Australian Taxation Office falls short of fully supporting growth as intended. The implications pave the way for improvement to the business tax code aiming at growth and job creation.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Haltiwanger & Ron S. Jarmin & Javier Miranda, 2010.
"Who Creates Jobs? Small vs. Large vs. Young,"
NBER Working Papers
16300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sasan Bakhtiari, 2011. "Size Evolution and Outsourcing: Theory and Evidence from Australian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 2012-08, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Broersma, Lourens & Gautier, Pieter, 1997. " Job Creation and Job Destruction by Small Firms: An Empirical Investigation for the Dutch Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-24, June.
- Matthew Barnes & Jonathan Haskel, 2002. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and the Contribution of Small Businesses: Evidence for UK Manufacturing," Working Papers 461, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- David Neumark & Brandon Wall & Junfu Zhang, 2011.
"Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence for the United States from the National Establishment Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 16-29, August.
- Neumark, David & Wall, Brandon & Zhang, Junfu, 2008. "Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence for the United States from the National Establishment Time Series," IZA Discussion Papers 3888, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2012-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.