Optimal contract under moral hazard with soft information
I study a model of moral hazard with soft information: the agent alone observes the stochastic outcome of her action; hence the principal faces a problem of ex post adverse selection. With limited instruments the principal cannot solve these two problems independently; the ex post incentive for misreporting interacts with the ex ante incentives for effort. The optimal transfer is option-like, the contract leaves the agent with some ex ante rent and fails to elicit truthful revelation in all states. Audit and transfer co-vary positively, which likely is a forgotten component of many real-life contracts.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven D. Levitt & Christopher M. Snyder, 1997. "Is No. News Bad News? Information Transmission and the Role of "Early Warning" in the Principal-Agent Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(4), pages 641-661, Winter.
- repec:oup:restud:v:78:y:2011:i:3:p:1015-1041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Moreira, Humberto Ataíde, 2001.
"A General Lagrangian Approach For Non-Concave Moral Hazard Problems,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
426, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Araujo, Aloisio & Moreira, Humberto, 2001. "A general Lagrangian approach for non-concave moral hazard problems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 17-39, February.
- Aloisio Araújo & Humberto Moreira, 2000. "A general Lagrangian approach for non-concave moral hazard problems," Textos para discussão 425, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Moreira, Humberto Ataíde, 2000. "A General Lagrangian Approach for Non-Concave Moral Hazard Problems," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 390, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Guillaume Roger, 2010. "Moral Hazard with Soft Information," Discussion Papers 2010-26, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Jonathan C. Glover & Anil Arya & Shyam NMI Sunder, 1999. "Earnings Management and the Revelation Principle," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm120, Yale School of Management.
- Daniel Kr�mer & Roland Strausz, 2009.
"Optimal Procurement Contracts with Pre--Project Planning,"
036, Departmental Working Papers.
- John R. Conlon, 2009. "Two New Conditions Supporting the First-Order Approach to Multisignal Principal-Agent Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 249-278, 01.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Ivan Png, 1989. "Optimal Auditing, Insurance, and Redistribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 399-415.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2012-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.