Does Spatial Disaggregation Matter in Job Creation and Destruction Flows?
The paper investigates the changes in job creation and destruction flows considering a very disaggregate level of analysis. If institutional setup plays a more important role compared to other factors, than at lower levels of aggregation we should observe that job flows regularities are in line with national ones. We explore the issue using a unique database on the population of firms in Trentino (a North-Eastern Province of Italy) from 1991 to 2001. We find that: (a) job flows show a ”fractal” nature, i.e. many regularities appear to be scale invariant (magnitude of flows and their persistence). In particular job flows magnitude is in line with the average values for Italy; (b) there are some qualifications to ”fractality”: entrant firms’ contribution to job creation process is lower than the corresponding contribution at national level, whereas the job destruction share accounted for by exit firms is around 30%, in line with stylized facts; (c) size and age shape the job flows; (d) shifts of jobs between macro sectors are rare.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza dei Martiri della Liberta, 33, 56127 Pisa|
Web page: http://www.lem.sssup.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Stahl, Florian & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria,"
IZA Discussion Papers
546, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alfred M Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002. "Job creation and job destruction in a regulated labor market: The case of Austria," Economics working papers 2002-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Florian Stahl & Alfred Stiglbauer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Working Papers 78, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Stahl, Florian & Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labour Market: The Case of Austria," CEPR Discussion Papers 3497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Barnes & Jonathan Haskel, 2002. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and the Contribution of Small Businesses: Evidence for UK Manufacturing," Working Papers 461, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Baily, Martin Neil & Bartelsman, Eric J & Haltiwanger, John, 1996. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 259-278, August.
- Alonso-Borrego, César & Collado, M. Dolores, 2001.
"Innovation and job creation and destruction : evidence from Spain,"
DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS
ws013824, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- César Alonso-Borrego & Dolores Collado, 2002. "Innovation and Job Creation and Destruction . Evidence from Spain," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 68(1), pages 148-168.
- M. Dolores Collado, 2001. "Innovation And Job Creation And Destruction: Evidence From Spain," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- César ALONSO-BORREGO & Dolores COLLADO, 2002. "Innovation and Job Creation and Destruction : Evidence from Spain," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2002024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1998.
"A Comparison Of Job Creation And Job Destruction In Canada And The United States,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 347-356, August.
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States," NBER Working Papers 4726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger & John Baldwin, 1994. "A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States," Working Papers 94-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996.
"The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-1297, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers 92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2001.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Employment Growth in Transition Countries in the 90's,"
IZA Discussion Papers
242, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2003. "Job creation, job destruction and employment growth in transition countries in the 90s," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 1999. "The analysis of labor markets using matched employer-employee data," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 40, pages 2629-2710 Elsevier.
- Sydney Winter & Giovanni Dosi, 2000. "Interpreting Economic Change: Evolution, Structures and Games," LEM Papers Series 2000/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- G. Fagiolo & G. Dosi & R. Gabriele, 2004.
"Matching, Bargaining, And Wage Setting In An Evolutionary Model Of Labor Market And Output Dynamics,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Industry And Labor Dynamics The Agent-Based Computational Economics Approach, chapter 5, pages 59-89
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- G. Fagiolo & G. Dosi & R. Gabriele, 2004. "Matching, Bargaining, And Wage Setting In An Evolutionary Model Of Labor Market And Output Dynamics," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(02), pages 157-186.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssa:lemwps:2005/09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.