From social control to financial economics: The linked ecologies of economics and business in twentieth century America
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Collins, Robert M., 1978. "Positive Business Responses to the New Deal: The Roots of the Committee for Economic Development, 1933â€“1942," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 369-391, October.
- Mie Augier & Michael Prietula, 2007. "Perspective---Historical Roots of the A Behavioral Theory of the Firm Model at GSIA," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 507-522, June.
- Alfred Bornemann, 1957. "The Development of Economics and Administration in the School of Business," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30, pages 131-131.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Reder, Melvin W, 1982. "Chicago Economics: Permanence and Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 1-38, March.
- Nelson, Robert H, 1987. "The Economics Profession and the Making of Public Policy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 49-91, March.
- Franck Jovanovic, 2008. "The Construction of the Canonical History of Financial Economics," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 213-242, Summer.
- Bruce E. Kaufman, 2000. "Personnel/Human Resource Management: Its Roots as Applied Economics," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 32(5), pages 227-256, Supplemen.
- Kyle Bruce, 2005. "Magnus Alexander, the Economists and the Issue of Labour Turnover," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(4), pages 493-510.
- Coase, R H, 1993. "Law and Economics at Chicago," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 239-254, April.
- Rakesh Khurana, 2007. "Introduction to From Higher Aims to Hired Hands The Social Transformation of American Business Schools and the Unfulfilled Promise of Management as a Profession," Introductory Chapters, in: From Higher Aims to Hired Hands The Social Transformation of American Business Schools and the Unfulfilled Promise of Management as a Profession, Princeton University Press.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Rik Pieters & Hans Baumgartner, 2002. "Who Talks to Whom? Intra- and Interdisciplinary Communication of Economics Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 483-509, June.
- Donald MacKenzie, 2006. "An Engine, Not a Camera: How Financial Models Shape Markets," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262134608, December.
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 1998. "Are CEOs Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 653-691.
- Barber,William J., 1989. "From New Era to New Deal," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521367370, December.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, September.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1999. "An Interview With Robert E. Lucas, Jr," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 278-291, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- W. W. Cooper, 2002. "Abraham Charnes and W. W. Cooper (et al.): A Brief History of a Long Collaboration in Developing Industrial Uses of Linear Programming," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 35-41, February.
- A. B. Wolfe & Chester A. Phillips & J. C. Bonbright & Edmund E. Day, 1926. "The Place of Economics in the Curriculum of a School of Business: Discussion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 227-227.
- Esther-Mirjam Sent, 2002. "How (Not) to Influence People: The Contrary Tale of John F. Muth," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 291-320, Summer.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Linsi, Lukas, 2019. "The discourse of competitiveness and the dis-embedding of the national economy," SocArXiv s4j6y, Center for Open Science.
- Veldman, Jeroen, 2019. "Inequality, Inc," CRITICAL PERSPECTIVES ON ACCOUNTING, Elsevier, vol. 63(C).
- Christian Lohmann & Marc Eulerich, 2017. "Publication trends and the network of publishing institutions in accounting: data on , 1926–2014," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Mario Le Glatin & Pascal Le Masson & Benoit Weil, 2018. "Can organisational ambidexterity kill innovation? A case for non-expected utility decision making," Post-Print hal-01808566, HAL.
- Jovanovic, Franck & Mantegna, Rosario N. & Schinckus, Christophe, 2019. "When financial economics influences physics: The role of Econophysics," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(C).
- Bullinger, Bernadette & Kieser, Alfred & Schiller-Merkens, Simone, 2015. "Coping with institutional complexity: Responses of management scholars to competing logics in the field of management studies," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 437-450.
- Veldman, Jeroen, 2018. "Inequality, Inc," MPRA Paper 86644, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tiago Cardao-Pito, 2017. "Classes in Maximizing Shareholders’ Wealth: Irving Fisher’s Theory of the Economic Organization in Corporate Financial Economics Textbooks," Contemporary Economics, University of Economics and Human Sciences in Warsaw., vol. 11(4), December.
- Pinzur, David, 2021. "Infrastructure, ontology and meaning: the endogenous development of economic ideas," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 110932, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marion Fourcade, 2018. "Economics: the view from below," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics, Springer;Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics, vol. 154(1), pages 1-9, December.
- Hasselbalch, Jacob Adam, 2017. "Professional disruption in health regulation: electronic cigarettes in the European Union," SocArXiv 9ew3m, Center for Open Science.
- Alphonse Kumaza & Yuanqiong He, 2019. "Can Corporate Responsibility Improve Business Financial Performance? A Research Insight," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 9(1), pages 8-16.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Jovanovic, Franck & Schinckus, Christophe, 2017. "Econophysics and Financial Economics: An Emerging Dialogue," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780190205034.
- David Brophy & Joel Shulman, 1993. "Financial Factors Which Stimulate Innovation," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 17(2), pages 61-75, January.
- Matthias Kiefer & Edward Jones & Andrew Adams, 2016. "Principals, Agents and Incomplete Contracts: Are Surrender of Control and Renegotiation the Solution?," CFI Discussion Papers 1603, Centre for Finance and Investment, Heriot Watt University.
- Linnenluecke, Martina K. & Chen, Xiaoyan & Ling, Xin & Smith, Tom & Zhu, Yushu, 2017. "Research in finance: A review of influential publications and a research agenda," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 188-199.
- Claus Dierksmeier, 2020. "From Jensen to Jensen: Mechanistic Management Education or Humanistic Management Learning?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 166(1), pages 73-87, September.
- Reddy, Kotapati Srinivasa, 2015. "Extant Reviews on Entry-mode/Internationalization, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Diversification: Understanding Theories and Establishing Interdisciplinary Research," MPRA Paper 63744, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2015.
- David Gindis, 0. "On the origins, meaning and influence of Jensen and Meckling’s definition of the firm," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 966-984.
- Ramiah, Vikash & Xu, Xiaoming & Moosa, Imad A., 2015. "Neoclassical finance, behavioral finance and noise traders: A review and assessment of the literature," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 89-100.
- M. Fourcade & E. Ollion & Y. Algan., 2015.
"The Superiority of Economists,"
VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 7.
- Fourcade, Marion & Ollion, Etienne & Algan, Yann, 2014. "The superiority of economists," MaxPo Discussion Paper Series 14/3, Max Planck Sciences Po Center on Coping with Instability in Market Societies (MaxPo).
- Marion Fourcade & Etienne Ollion & Yann Algan, 2015. "The Superiority of Economists," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/67ft27s7u58, Sciences Po.
- João Paulo Braga & Luís M. Pereira Gomes, 2016. "The Impact of the Preliminary Announcement on the Abnormal Returns of the Companies Involved in Takeover Bids in the Portuguese Stock Market between 2000 and 2014," Copernican Journal of Finance & Accounting, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 5(1), pages 39-65.
- Chang, Eric C. & Lin, Tse-Chun & Ma, Xiaorong, 2019. "Does short-selling threat discipline managers in mergers and acquisitions decisions?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1).
- Kothari, S.P. & Ramanna, Karthik & Skinner, Douglas J., 2010. "Implications for GAAP from an analysis of positive research in accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 246-286, December.
- Morten Balling & Ernest Gnan, 2013. "The development of financial markets and financial theory: 50 years of interaction," SUERF 50th Anniversary Volume Chapters, in: Morten Balling & Ernest Gnan (ed.), 50 Years of Money and Finance: Lessons and Challenges, chapter 5, pages 157-194, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Lucrezia Fattobene & Marco Caiffa, 2016. "Sitting on the Board or Sitting on the Throne? Evidence of Boards' Overconfidence from the Italian Market," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 45(2), pages 235-269, July.
- Meyerson, Eva M., 1991. "The Impact of Financial and Social Capital on Performance," Working Paper Series 317, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Chen, Tao & Harford, Jarrad & Lin, Chen, 2015. "Do analysts matter for governance? Evidence from natural experiments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 383-410.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Jia, Jingyi Jane, 2008. "Institutional ownership stability and BHC performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1767-1781, September.
- Thomas Holtfort, 2019. "From standard to evolutionary finance: a literature survey," Management Review Quarterly, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 207-232, June.
- Thomas Delcey & Francesco Sergi, 2019. "The Efficient Market Hypothesis and Rational Expectations. How Did They Meet and Live (Happily?) Ever After," Working Papers hal-02187362, HAL.
- Stijn Claessens & M Ayhan Kose, 2018. "Frontiers of macrofinancial linkages," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 95.
More about this item
KeywordsProfessions; Disciplines; Foundations; Universities; Institutionalism; Management;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/5oi5d12qn3983q921gleelod94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/ecspofr.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Spire @ Sciences Po Library (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/ecspofr.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.