Capital operating time and working time in the production function : an evaluation on a panel firms over the period 1989-2001
While a number of studies have demonstrated the importance of factor utilization in economic analysis, the impact of operating hours and/or hours of work in the production function remains largely unknown, particularly in terms of the capital operating time. Using French data on industrial firms for the period 1989 to 2001, we estimate a Cobb-Douglas production function that considers the stocks and both the capital operating time and the working time. We draw on the framework defined by Blundell and Bond (2000), assuming that serially correlated shocks allow a dynamic representation of the production function, and we use the system generalized method of moments for estimation. Splitting capital operating time into shiftwork patterns and working time, our results show that shiftwork patterns matter for the estimation of a production function while working time is less informative. Specifically, our estimates yield identical output elasticities for shiftwork and capital: thus, doubling the shifts is equivalent to doubling the stock of capital. In addition, we cannot reject the hypothesis of constant returns to scale and the Cobb-Douglas specification is accepted when taking into account the capital operating time and/or the working time. Otherwise, a Translog production function is more appropriate.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2002:i:66:p:10 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Sherwin Rosen, 1974.
"A Disequilibrium Model of Demand for Factors of Production,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number nadi74-1, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin & Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1974. "A Disequilibrium Model of Demand for Factors of Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 264-70, May.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Sherwin Rosen, 1973. "A Disequilibrium Model of Demand for Factors of Production," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number nadi73-1, September.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Martial Dupaigne, 2002. "Travail posté et durée d'utilisation des équipements dans les fluctuations économiques," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 66, pages 235-256.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- P. Biscourp & B. Crépon & T. Heckel & N. Riedinger, 2002. "How do firms respond to cheaper computers? Microeconometric evidence for France based on a production function approach," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2002-05, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Gilbert Cette, 1983. "Degrés d'utilisation des facteurs et demande d'investissement et de travail," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 34(4), pages 756-793.
- Hart, Robert A. & McGregor, Peter G., 1988. "The returns to labour services in West German manufacturing industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 947-963, April.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- M. I. Nadiri, 1968. "The Effects of Relative Prices and Capacity on the Demand for Labour in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 273-288.
- Bond, Stephen & Bowsher, Clive & Windmeijer, Frank, 2001.
"Criterion-based inference for GMM in autoregressive panel data models,"
Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 379-388, December.
- Steve Bond & Clive Bowsher & Frank Windmeijer, 2001. "Criterion-based inference for GMM in autoregressive panel-data models," IFS Working Papers W01/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ziliak, James P, 1997. "Efficient Estimation with Panel Data When Instruments Are Predetermined: An Empirical Comparison of Moment-Condition Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(4), pages 419-31, October.
- M. S. Feldstein, 1967. "Specification of the Labour Input in the Aggregate Production Function," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(4), pages 375-386.
- Simon Cueva & Éric Heyer, 1997. "Fonction de production et degrés d'utilisation du capital et du travail : une analyse économétrique," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 131(5), pages 93-111.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, Junio.
- Leslie, Derek G & Wise, John, 1980. "The Productivity of Hours in U.K. Manufacturing and Production Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 74-84, March.
- Frank Windmeijer, 2000. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear two-step GMM estimators," IFS Working Papers W00/19, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Roger Craine, 1973. "On the Service Flow from Labour," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 39-46.
- R. J. Ball & E. B. A. St Cyr, 1966. "Short Term Employment Functions in British Manufacturing Industry," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 179-207.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1993. "Labor Demand and the Source of Adjustment Costs," NBER Working Papers 4394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Rosen, Sherwin, 1969. "Interrelated Factor Demand Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 457-71, Part I Se.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Gene H. Golub, 1982.
"Imposing Curvature Restrictions on Flexible Functional Forms,"
538, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Golub, Gene H., 1984. "Imposing curvature restrictions on flexible functional forms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 295-321, December.
- Anxo, Dominique & Bigsten, Arne, 1989. " Working Hours and Productivity in Swedish Manufacturing," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 613-19.
- Eric Heyer & Florian Pelgrin & Arnaud Sylvain, 2004. "Translog ou Cobb-Douglas? Le rôle des durées d'utilisation des facteurs," Staff Working Papers 04-19, Bank of Canada.
- Stephen Bond & Céline Nauges & Frank Windmeijer, 2002. "Unit Roots and Identification in Autoregressive Panel Data Models: A Comparison of Alternative Tests," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C5-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/2041. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.