Inference on Mixtures Under Tail Restrictions
Many econometric models can be analyzed as finite mixtures. We focus on two-component mixtures and we show that they are nonparametrically point identified by a combination of an exclusion restriction and tail restrictions. Our identification analysis suggests simple closed-form estimators of the component distributions and mixing proportions. We derive their asymptotic properties using results on tail empirical processes and we present a simulation study that documents their finite-sample performance.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2015|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econ.sciences-po.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Koen Jochmans & Jean-Marc Robin, 2013.
"Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures,"
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Koen Jochmans & Jean-Marc Robin, 2013. "Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures," Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers 2013-09, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Koen Jochmans & Jean-Marc Robin, 2013. "Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures," Sciences Po publications 2013-09, Sciences Po.
- Einmahl, J.H.J., 1992. "Limit theorems for tail processes with application to intermediate quantile estimation," Other publications TiSEM 063e51b0-445d-4764-96a2-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2007.
"Estimation of Average Treatment Effects with Misclassification,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 537-551, 03.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2004. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 210, Econometric Society.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2003. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 556, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Sep 2006.
- Aprajit Mahajan, 2006. "Identification and Estimation of Regression Models with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 631-665, 05.
- Laurent Bordes & Céline Delmas & Pierre Vandekerkhove, 2006. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Two-component Mixture Model where One Component is known," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(4), pages 733-752.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Marcia M. A. Schafgans, 1998. "Semiparametric Estimation of the Intercept of a Sample Selection Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 497-517.
- Bollinger, Christopher R., 1996. "Bounding mean regressions when a binary regressor is mismeasured," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 387-399, August.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Finite Mixture Models of Dynamic Discrete Choices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 135-175, 01.
- V. Chernozhukov & I. Fernández-Val & A. Galichon, 2009.
"Improving point and interval estimators of monotone functions by rearrangement,"
Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(3), pages 559-575.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2008. "Improving point and interval estimates of monotone functions by rearrangement," CeMMAP working papers CWP17/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/f6h8764enu2lskk9p2m96cphi. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sciences Po Departement of Economics Series Handler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.