Nonparametric spectral-based estimation of latent structures
We present a constructive identification proof of p-linear decompositions of q-way arrays. The analysis is based on the joint spectral decomposition of a set of matrices. It has applications in the analysis of a variety of latent-structure models, such as q-variate mixtures of p distributions. As such, our results provide a constructive alternative to Allman, Matias and Rhodes . The identification argument suggests a joint approximate-diagonalization estimator that is easy to implement and whose asymptotic properties we derive. We illustrate the usefulness of our approach by applying it to nonparametrically estimate multivariate finite-mixture models and hidden Markov models.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Henry & Koen Jochmans & Bernard Salanié, 2014.
"Inference on Mixtures Under Tail Restrictions,"
- Marc Henry & Koen Jochmans & Bernard Salanié, 2015. "Inference on Mixtures Under Tail Restrictions," Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers 2014-01, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Marc Henry & Koen Jochmans & Bernard Salanié, 2015. "Inference on Mixtures Under Tail Restrictions," Sciences Po publications 2014-01, Sciences Po.
- Magnus, Jan R., 1985. "On Differentiating Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 179-191, August.
- Magnus, J.R., 1985. "On differentiating eigenvalues and eigenvectors," Other publications TiSEM f410e3a5-ba9b-4787-b8cc-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- T. Anderson, 1954. "On estimation of parameters in latent structure analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 19(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Koen Jochmans & Jean-Marc Robin, 2013. "Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures," Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers 2013-09, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Koen Jochmans & Jean-Marc Robin, 2013. "Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures," Sciences Po publications 2013-09, Sciences Po.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Koen Jochmans & Jean-Marc Robin, 2013. "Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures," Working Papers hal-00972868, HAL.
- M. Levine & D. R. Hunter & D. Chauveau, 2011. "Maximum smoothed likelihood for multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 98(2), pages 403-416.
- Joseph Kruskal, 1976. "More factors than subjects, tests and treatments: An indeterminacy theorem for canonical decomposition and individual differences scaling," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 41(3), pages 281-293, September.
- T. P. Hettmansperger & Hoben Thomas, 2000. "Almost nonparametric inference for repeated measures in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 811-825.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Finite Mixture Models of Dynamic Discrete Choices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 135-175, 01.
- Bert Green, 1951. "A general solution for the latent class model of latent structure analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(2), pages 151-166, June.
- Peter Hall & Amnon Neeman & Reza Pakyari & Ryan Elmore, 2005. "Nonparametric inference in multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 667-678, September.
- Hu, Yingyao, 2008. "Identification and estimation of nonlinear models with misclassification error using instrumental variables: A general solution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 27-61, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:18/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.