Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of the Number of Components in Multivariate Mixtures
This article analyzes the identifiability of the number of components in k-variate, M-component finite mixture models in which each component distribution has independent marginals, including models in latent class analysis. Without making parametric assumptions on the component distributions, we investigate how one can identify the number of components from the distribution function of the observed data. When k>=2, a lower bound on the number of components (M) is nonparametrically identifiable from the rank of a matrix constructed from the distribution function of the observed variables. Building on this identification condition, we develop a procedure to consistently estimate a lower bound on the number of components.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 348-358, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1985. "Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 761R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 1986.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2006. "Generalized reduced rank tests using the singular value decomposition," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 97-126, July.
- Frank Kleibergen & Richard Paap, 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-003/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Richard Paap & Frank Kleibergen, 2004. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 195, Econometric Society.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-01, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Woo, Mi-Ja & Sriram, T.N., 2006. "Robust Estimation of Mixture Complexity," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1475-1486, December.
- M. Levine & D. R. Hunter & D. Chauveau, 2011. "Maximum smoothed likelihood for multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 98(2), pages 403-416.
- T. P. Hettmansperger & Hoben Thomas, 2000. "Almost nonparametric inference for repeated measures in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 811-825.
- Peter Hall & Amnon Neeman & Reza Pakyari & Ryan Elmore, 2005. "Nonparametric inference in multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 667-678, September.
- Dunson, David B. & Xing, Chuanhua, 2009. "Nonparametric Bayes Modeling of Multivariate Categorical Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 1042-1051.
- Robert Mislevy, 1984. "Estimating latent distributions," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Finite Mixture Models of Dynamic Discrete Choices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 135-175, 01.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Burda, Maike M., 1997. "Modified Wald tests under nonregular conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 315-332, June.
- I. R. Cruz-Medina & T. P. Hettmansperger & H. Thomas, 2004. "Semiparametric mixture models and repeated measures: the multinomial cut point model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 53(3), pages 463-474. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)