Strongly Consistent Determination of the Rank of Matrix
In this paper, we develop methods of the determination of the rank of random matrix. Using the matrix perturbation theory to construct or find a suitable bases of the kernel (null space) of the matrix and to determine the limiting distribution of the estimator of the smallest singular values. We propose a new rank test for an unobserved matrix for which a root-N-consistent estimator is available and construct a Wald- type test statistic (generalized Wald test). The test, based on matrix perturbation theory, enable to determine how many singular values of the estimated matrix are insignificantly different from zero and we fully characterise the asymptotic distribution of the generalized Wald statistic under the most general conditions. We show that it is chi- square distribution under the null. In particular case, when the asymptotic covariance matrix has a Kronecker product form, the test statistic is equivalent to likelihood ratio test statistic and to Multiplier Lagrange test statistic. Two approaches to be considered are sequential testing strategy and information theoretic criterion. We establish a strongly consistent of the determination of the rank of matrix using the two approaches.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, T. W., 1999. "Asymptotic Theory for Canonical Correlation Analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 1-29, July.
- Rao, C. Radhakrishna, 1979. "Separation theorems for singular values of matrices and their applications in multivariate analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 362-377, September.
- Lwebel Arthur & Perraudin William, 1995. "A Theorem on Portfolio Separation with General Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 624-626, April.
- Robinson, P. M., 1973. "Generalized canonical analysis for time series," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 141-160, June.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1988. "Chi-Square Diagnostic Tests for Econometric Models: Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1419-53, November.
- Alastair R. Hall & Glenn D. Rudebusch & David W. Wilcox, 1994.
"Judging instrument relevance in instrumental variables estimation,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-3, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hall, Alastair R & Rudebusch, Glenn D & Wilcox, David W, 1996. "Judging Instrument Relevance in Instrumental Variables Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 283-98, May.
- Zhao, L. C. & Krishnaiah, P. R. & Bai, Z. D., 1986. "On detection of the number of signals in presence of white noise," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-25, October.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 348-358, June.
- Robin, Jean-Marc & Smith, Richard J., 2000.
"Tests Of Rank,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 151-175, April.
- Anderson, T. W. & Kunitomo, Naoto, 1994. "Asymptotic robustness of tests of overidentification and predeterminedness," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 383-414, June.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Burda, Maike M., 1997. "Modified Wald tests under nonregular conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 315-332, June.
- Vuong, Quang H., 1987. "Generalized inverses and asymptotic properties of Wald tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 343-347.
- Cragg, John G. & Donald, Stephen G., 1997. "Inferring the rank of a matrix," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 223-250.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Sin, Chor-Yiu & White, Halbert, 1996. "Information criteria for selecting possibly misspecified parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 207-225.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2003_04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.