Nonparametric estimation of finite mixtures
The aim of this paper is to provide simple nonparametric methods to estimate finitemixture models from data with repeated measurements. Three measurements suffice for the mixture to be fully identified and so our approach can be used even with very short panel data. We provide distribution theory for estimators of the mixing proportions and the mixture distributions, and various functionals thereof. We also discuss inference on the number of components. These estimators are found to perform well in a series of Monte Carlo exercises. We apply our techniques to document heterogeneity in log annual earnings using PSID data spanning the period 1969–1998.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Paap & Frank Kleibergen, 2004.
"Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
195, Econometric Society.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2006. "Generalized reduced rank tests using the singular value decomposition," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 97-126, July.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-01, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Frank Kleibergen & Richard Paap, 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-003/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Martin Browning & Mette Ejrnæs & Javier Alvarez, 2010.
"Modelling Income Processes with Lots of Heterogeneity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1353-1381.
- Javier Alvarez & Martin Browning & Mette Ejrnæs, 2002. "Modelling income processes with lots of heterogeneity," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D2-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Javier Alvarez & Martin Browning & Mette Ejrnæs, 2001. "Modelling Income Processes with lots of heterogeneity," CAM Working Papers 2002-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Martin Browning & Mette Ejrnaes, 2006. "Modelling income processes with lots of heterogeneity," Economics Series Working Papers 285, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Robin, Jean-Marc & Smith, Richard J., 2000.
"Tests Of Rank,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 151-175, April.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompqllr09j01si09a2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bonhomme, Stphane & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2009.
"Consistent noisy independent component analysis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 12-25, April.
- Jean-Marc Robin & Stéphane Bonhomme, 2009. "Consistent Noisy Independent Component Analysis," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2008. "Consistent noisy independent component analysis," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jean-Marc Robin & Stéphane Bonhomme, 2009. "Consistent Noisy Independent Component Analysis," Post-Print hal-01022621, HAL.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2009. "Consistent Noisy Independent Component Analysis," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00642732, HAL.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Finite Mixture Models of Dynamic Discrete Choices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 135-175, 01.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Powell, James L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of censored selection models with a nonparametric selection mechanism," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-29, July.
- Peter Hall & Amnon Neeman & Reza Pakyari & Ryan Elmore, 2005. "Nonparametric inference in multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 667-678, September.
- Magnus, J.R., 1985. "On differentiating eigenvalues and eigenvectors," Other publications TiSEM f410e3a5-ba9b-4787-b8cc-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Robert A. Moffitt & Peter Gottschalk, 2012. "Trends in the Transitory Variance of Male Earnings: Methods and Evidence," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 47(1), pages 204-236.
- Bura, E. & Pfeiffer, R., 2008. "On the distribution of the left singular vectors of a random matrix and its applications," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(15), pages 2275-2280, October.
- Magnus, Jan R., 1985. "On Differentiating Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 179-191, August.
- Peter Gottschalk & Robert Moffitt, 1994. "The Growth of Earnings Instability in the U.S. Labor Market," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 217-272.
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-663, May.
- Yingyao Hu & Susanne M. Schennach, 2008. "Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 195-216, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/7o52iohb7k6srk09n8t4k21sm. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.