Combined Micro-Finance: Selected Research Questions from a Stakeholder Point of View
There is a growing interest in combined micro-finance schemes delivering both micro-insurance and micro-credit products to provide a more comprehensive response to existing market failures often leading to a lack of access to financial services for excluded populations. Despite its increasingly widespread practice, the issue of combined micro-finance has received relatively little attention and various specific research questions remain underexplored such as: Does combining credit and insurance services improve or weaken overall organisational performance of micro-finance schemes? Does the combining of micro-finance services lead to more inclusion or to more exclusion of the poor? and; Are combined micro-finance schemes enhancing or challenging donor effectiveness? This paper builds on a literature review and is a first conceptual attempt to bring forward the specific characteristics of combined micro-finance schemes. It argues for a more formative evaluation approach towards combining micro-finance schemes. Market dynamics and interventions of the key players and stakeholders of combined micro-finance should aim at becoming most efficient, allowing maximum socio-economic benefits and efficiency, taking into account the different challenges of reaching the poor.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdellilah Hamdouch, 2005. "Gouvernement d'entreprise et performance," Post-Print halshs-00197015, HAL.
- Marc Labie & Marthe Nyssens & Pascal Wélé, 2007.
"Microfinance et micro-assurance santé : réflexions sur des articulations possibles à partir de quelques expériences au Bénin et au Burkina Faso,"
Mondes en développement,
De Boeck Université, vol. 0(3), pages 57-71.
- Marc Labie & Marthe Nyssens & Pascal Wele, 2007. "Microfinance et micro-assurance santé: réflexions sur des articulations possibles à partir de quelques expériences au Bénin et au Burkina Faso," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14275, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Koen Rossel-Cambier & Tom Olsen & Niloufar Pourzand, 2007. "Investing in knowledge for evidence-based social policies for children: two case studies of knowledge dissemination initiatives in the Eastern Caribbean," Working Papers CEB 07-040.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Labie, 2004. "Microfinance : un état des lieux," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 126(2), pages 9-23.
- Brigit Helms, 2006. "Access for All : Building Inclusive Financial Systems," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6973.
- Rajeev Ahuja & Johannes Jutting, 2004. "Are the poor too poor to demand health insurance?," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 118, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Cécile Lapenu & Manfred Zeller & Martin Greely & Renée Chao-Béroff & Koenraad Verhagen, 2004. "Performances sociales : Une raison d'être des institutions de microfinance et pourtant encore peu mesurées. Quelques pistes," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 126(2), pages 51-68.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007.
"Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages 107-133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.
- Bastiaensen, Johan & Herdt, Tom De & D'Exelle, Ben, 2005. "Poverty reduction as a local institutional process," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 979-993, June.
- Marek Hudon, 2007. "Ethics and public policy in microfinance," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/210639, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:08-004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.