Resilience of Microfinance Institutions to National Macroeconomic Events: An Econometric Analysis of MFI asset quality
After controlling for MFI and country characteristics, we find no evidence suggesting a strong (in magnitude) and statistically significant relationship between changes in GNI per capita (GROWTH) and four indicators of MFI portfolio risk: quality at Risk over 30 Days (PAR-30), Portfolio at Risk over 90 Days (PAR-90), Loan loss Rate (LLR), and Write-off Ratio (WOR). We test the robustness of the models with different specifications that confirm the general result and test for different impact from growth rates according to average loan sizes disbursed by MFIs. These tests suggest that microfinance portfolios have high resilience to economic shocks. Specifically, we found only a significant relationship between growth and PAR-30. We also control for other explanatory variables like size, age, average loan size, and productivity.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Gine & Dean Karlan, 2006.
"Group versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines,"
940, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Dean Karlan & Xavier Giné, 2007. "Group Versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines," Working Papers 111, Center for Global Development.
- Giné, Xavier & Karlan, Dean S., 2007. "Group versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines," CEPR Discussion Papers 6193, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gine, Xavier & Karlan, Dean S., 2006. "Group versus individual liability : a field experiment in the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4008, The World Bank.
- Xavier Gine & Dean Karlan, 2006. "Group versus individual liability: A field experiment in the philippines," Natural Field Experiments 00253, The Field Experiments Website.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, July.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages 107-133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.