Determinants Influencing a Rural Household's Preference to Join Individual Liability or Joint Liability Micro Credit Contract Operated by Primary Aagricultural Credit Society
Agriculture credit which is one form of micro credit mainly for the small and marginal farmers can be borrowed under two different types of short-term credit contracts: individual liability credit contract or joint liability credit contract under Primary Agricultural Credit Society (PACS). The basic objective of this paper is to identify the factors which influence a rural household to link himself directly with PACS for credit contract under individual liability micro credit contract or to take the initiative to join self-help group under PACS so that if required he/she can take credit under joint liability credit contract. Results reveal that higher education level and age reduces the probability of a rural people to join self-help group but aged farmers with certain size of land prefers to take credit under individual liability loan contract after taking direct membership of PACS. But ownership of land and its size is not a decision making factor during the time of formation self-help groups under PACS. Actually poor people with zero or small size of assets i.e. mainly the risky type borrowers were not ignored during the time of group formation.
|Date of creation:||07 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:||10 Oct 2009|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Microfinance Review July-Dec, 2009.2(2010): pp. 45-56|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Conning, 2000. "Monitoring by Peers or by Delegates? Joint Liability Loans under Moral Hazard," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-07, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998.
"The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice,"
791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999. "The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
- Christian Ahlin & RobertM. Townsend, 2007.
"Using Repayment Data to Test Across Models of Joint Liability Lending,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F11-F51, 02.
- Christian Ahlin & Robert Townsend, 2002. "Using Repayment Data to Test Across Models of Joint Liability Lending," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0227, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Ahlin, Christian & Townsend, Robert M., 2007.
"Selection into and across credit contracts: Theory and field research,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 665-698, February.
- Christian Ahlin & Robert Townsend, 2003. "Selection into and across Credit Contracts: Theory and Field Research," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0323, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Alessandro Fedele, 2006.
"Joint Liability Lending in Microcredit Markets with Adverse Selection: a Survey,"
20060901, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Sep 2006.
- Alessandro Fedele, 2006. "Joint Liability Lending In Microcredit Markets With Adverse Selection: A Survey," The IUP Journal of Bank Management, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 55-63, May.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2000. "Screening by the Company You Keep: Joint Liability Lending and the Peer Selection Effect," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 601-31, July.
- Giné, Xavier & Karlan, Dean S., 2007.
"Group versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6193, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gine, Xavier & Karlan, Dean S., 2006. "Group versus individual liability : a field experiment in the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4008, The World Bank.
- Dean Karlan & Xavier Giné, 2007. "Group Versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines," Working Papers 111, Center for Global Development.
- Dean Karlan & Xavier Gine, 2006. "Group versus individual liability: A field experiment in the philippines," Natural Field Experiments 00253, The Field Experiments Website.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21784. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.