Reevaluating Terrorism and Economic Growth: Dynamic Panel Analysis and Cross-Sectional Dependence
Contrary to the extant literature, this paper shows that the impact of terrorism on economic growth is insignificant in five regional samples. These surprising results follow when Nickell bias and cross-sectional dependence are taken into account. Previous studies have not properly adjusted for these biases. Our provocative findings are robust to alternative measures of terrorism (i.e., domestic, transnational, and total) and to alternative specifications of terrorism (e.g., level, first differenced, and attacks per capita). These findings are also robust to the inclusion of investment and population growth. Moreover, we find that the various forms of terrorism do not affect consumption, investment, and government expenditures. Our results have important policy implications.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (971) 6-5055002|
Phone: (971) 6-5055002
Fax: (971) 6-585858
Web page: http://www.aus.edu/sba
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992.
"A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991. "A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 609, The World Bank.
- Konstantinos Drakos & Ali M. Kutan, 2003. "Regional Effects of Terrorism on Tourism in Three Mediterranean Countries," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 47(5), pages 621-641, October.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Todd Sandler & Javed Younas, 2011.
"Foreign aid as counterterrorism policy,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 423-447, July.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2003. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case Study of the Basque Country," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khusrav Gaibulloev & Todd Sandler, 2009. "The Impact Of Terrorism And Conflicts On Growth In Asia," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 359-383, November.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Tsiddon, Daniel, 2004.
"Macroeconomic Consequences of Terror: Theory and the Case of Israel,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Tsiddon, Daniel, 2004. "Macroeconomic consequences of terror: theory and the case of Israel," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 971-1002, July.
- Drakos, Konstantinos & Kutan, Ali M., 2001. "Regional effects of terrorism on tourism: Evidence from three Mediterranean countries," ZEI Working Papers B 26-2001, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Khusrav Gaibulloev & Todd Sandler, 2008. "Growth Consequences of Terrorism in Western Europe," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 411-424, 08.
- Blomberg, S. Brock & Broussard, Nzinga H. & Hess, Gregory D., 2011. "New wine in old wineskins? Growth, terrorism and the resource curse in sub-Saharan Africa," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(S1), pages S50-S63.
- Gaibulloev Khusrav & Sandler Todd & Sul Donggyu, 2013. "Common Drivers Of Transnational Terrorism: Principal Component Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(1), pages 707-721, 01.
- Lapan, Harvey E & Sandler, Todd, 1988.
"To Bargain or Not to Bargain: That Is the Question,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 16-21, May.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Sandler, Todd, 1988. "To Bargain or Not to Bargain: That is the Question," Staff General Research Papers 10817, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Javier Alvarez & Manuel Arellano, 2003.
"The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1121-1159, 07.
- Alvarez, J. & Arellano, M., 1998. "The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators," Papers 9808, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Enders, Walter & Sandler, Todd & Parise, Gerald F, 1992. "An Econometric Analysis of the Impact of Terrorism on Tourism," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 531-54.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Gregory D. Hess & Athanasios Orphanides, 2004.
"The Macroeconomic Consequences of Terrorism,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1151, CESifo Group Munich.
- Enders,Walter & Sandler,Todd, 2012.
"The Political Economy of Terrorism,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521181006, June.
- Jan Oskar Engene, 2007. "Five Decades of Terrorism in Europe: The TWEED Dataset," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 44(1), pages 109-121, January.
- Walter Enders & Todd Sandler & Khusrav Gaibulloev, 2011. "Domestic Versus Transnational Terrorism: Data, Decomposition, and Dynamics," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 48(3), pages 319-337, May.
- Daniel Meierrieks & Thomas Gries, 2012. "Economic Performance And Terrorist Activity In Latin America," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(5), pages 447-470, October.
- Khusrav Gaibulloev & Todd Sandier, 2011. "The Adverse Effect of Transnational and Domestic Terrorism on Growth in Africa," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 48(3), pages 355-371, May.
- Howard Kunreuther & Erwann Michel-Kerjan & Beverly Porter, 2003. "Assessing, Managing, and Financing Extreme Events: Dealing with Terrorism," NBER Working Papers 10179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2004. "Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Andrzej Cieślik & Monika Tarsalewska, 2011. "External Openness and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 729-744, November.
- Jushan Bai, 2009. "Panel Data Models With Interactive Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(4), pages 1229-1279, 07.
- Greenaway-McGrevy, Ryan & Han, Chirok & Sul, Donggyu, 2012. "Asymptotic distribution of factor augmented estimators for panel regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 48-53.
- Enders, Walter & Sandler, Todd, 1996. "Terrorism and Foreign Direct Investment in Spain and Greece," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 331-52.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sha:ecowps:02-03/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alaa Hamade)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.