Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Autoregressive Models with a Near Unit Root and Cauchy Errors
This paper studies maximum likelihood estimation of autoregressive models of order 1 with a near unit root and Cauchy errors. Autoregressive models with an intercept and with an intercept and a linear time trend are also considered. The maximum likelihood estimator (MLE) for the autoregressive coeffcient is n^(3/2)-consistent with n denoting the sample size and has a mixture-normal dis- tribution in the limit. The MLE for the scale parameter of Cauchy distribution is n^(1/2)-consistent and its limiting distribution is normal. The MLEs of the intercept and the linear time trend are n^(1/2)- and n^(3/2)-consistent, respectively. It is also shown that the t-statistic for a unit root based on the MLE has a standard normal distribution in the limit. In addition, finite sample properties of the MLE are compared with those of the least square estimator (LSE). It is found that the MLE is more effcient than the LSE when the errors have a Cauchy distribution or a distribution which is a mixture of Cauchy and normal distributions. It is also shown that empirical power of the MLE-based t-test for a unit root is much higher than that of the Dickey-Fuller t-test.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1 Sinsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-742|
Web page: http://econdept.sogang.ac.kr/laboratory/information.do
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Amy Hing-Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Wingender, John R, 1990. "The Distribution of Stock Returns: New Evidence against the Stable Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 217-223, April.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1967. "The Variation of Some Other Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 393-393.
- Barry Falk & Chun-Hsuan Wang, 2003.
"Testing long-run PPP with infinite-variance returns,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 471-484.
- Falk, Barry L. & Wang, Chun-Hsuan, 2003. "Testing Long-Run Ppp with Infinite-Variance Returns," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10323, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rong-Mao Zhang & Ngai Hang Chan, 2012. "Maximum likelihood estimation for nearly non-stationary stable autoregressive processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 542-553, 07.
- Knight, Keith, 1991. "Limit Theory for M-Estimates in an Integrated Infinite Variance," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 200-212, June.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1990. "Time Series Regression With a Unit Root and Infinite-Variance Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 44-62, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1989. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root and Infinite Variance Errors," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 897R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1989.
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1988. "Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 1," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 468-497, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986. "Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 1," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 811R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1987.
- D. M. Mahinda Samarakoon & Keith Knight, 2009. "A Note on Unit Root Tests with Infinite Variance Noise," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 314-334.
- Resnick, Sidney & Greenwood, Priscilla, 1979. "A bivariate stable characterization and domains of attraction," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 206-221, June.
- Sung Ahn & Stergios Fotopoulos & Lijian He, 2001. "Unit Root Tests With Infinite Variance Errors," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 461-483.
- Akgiray, Vedat & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1988. "The Stable-Law Model of Stock Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(1), pages 51-57, January.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394-394.
- Koedijk, Kees G & Kool, Clemens J M, 1992. "Tail Estimates of East European Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 83-96, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sgo:wpaper:1612. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jung Hur)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.