Lessons from Economic Transformation and the Road Forward
Primary purpose of this parer is to comment on the experiences so far by the formerly communist countries in transforming their economies with a view to propose lessons for policy-making. Although my familiarity is greatest with the Polish experience, makes use of the empirical evidence, both economic and political, from the whole area of Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union (FSU), particularly Russia. It begins with a few general observations about the choice of reform strategy. This I follow with a discussion of the output collapse and the conduct of macroeconomic policies. The Ten Commandments of Mr Klaus provided further opportunity to comment on policies. Finally, it takes a closer look at Russia and comment briefly on developments in Poland.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Aleja Jana Pawla II, 61, 01-031 Warsaw|
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aslund Anders, 1994. "Lessons of the First Four Years of Systemic Change in Eastern Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 22-38, August.
- Gomulka, Stanislaw, 1992. "Polish Economic Reform, 1990-91: Principles, Policies and Outcomes," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 355-72, September.
- M Schaffer, 1994. "Government Financial Transfers and Enterprise Adjustments in Russia," CEP Discussion Papers dp0191, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stanislaw Gomulka & Paul Johnson, 1991. "The causes of recession following stabilization," Economic History Working Papers 21107, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Stanislaw Gomulka & Paul Johnson, 1991. "The Causes of Recession following Stabilization," CEP Discussion Papers dp0033, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stanislaw Gomulka, 1991. "The Causes of Recession Following Stabilization," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 71-90, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.