Lessons from Economic Transformation and the Road Forward
Primary purpose of this parer is to comment on the experiences so far by the formerly communist countries in transforming their economies with a view to propose lessons for policy-making. Although my familiarity is greatest with the Polish experience, makes use of the empirical evidence, both economic and political, from the whole area of Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union (FSU), particularly Russia. It begins with a few general observations about the choice of reform strategy. This I follow with a discussion of the output collapse and the conduct of macroeconomic policies. The Ten Commandments of Mr Klaus provided further opportunity to comment on policies. Finally, it takes a closer look at Russia and comment briefly on developments in Poland.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Aleja Jana Pawla II, 61, 01-031 Warsaw|
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanislaw Gomulka & Paul Johnson, 1991. "The causes of recession following stabilization," Economic History Working Papers 21107, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Gomulka, Stanislaw, 1992. "Polish Economic Reform, 1990-91: Principles, Policies and Outcomes," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 355-372, September.
- Stanislaw Gomulka, 1991. "The Causes of Recession Following Stabilization," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 33(2), pages 71-90, July.
- Stanislaw Gomulka & Paul Johnson, 1991. "The Causes of Recession following Stabilization," CEP Discussion Papers dp0033, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Aslund Anders, 1994. "Lessons of the First Four Years of Systemic Change in Eastern Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 22-38, August.
- M Schaffer, 1994. "Government Financial Transfers and Enterprise Adjustments in Russia," CEP Discussion Papers dp0191, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.