Globalisation, Democratic Decentralisation and Social Security in India
This paper examines the role of democratic decentralisation in promoting inclusive governance (responsive, efficient equitable) and social security in the context of globalisation. Firstly, the paper argues that democratic decentralisation can empower the disadvantaged, particularly in rural areas, to protect their interests from the negative implications of globalisation. Secondly, democratic decentralisation can also facilitate efficient and equitable delivery of various services meant for the disadvantaged in the context of globalisation.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nagarabhavi, Bangalore - 560072|
Web page: http://www.isec.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dilip Mookherjee & Pranab K. Bardhan, 2000. "Capture and Governance at Local and National Levels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 135-139, May.
- Brinkerhoff, Derick W., 2000. "Democratic Governance and Sectoral Policy Reform: Tracing Linkages and Exploring Synergies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 601-615, April.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N Sivanna & M Devendra Bab, 2004. "Panchayat Jamabandhi in Karnataka: A Case of Transparency and Accountability in Good Governance," Working Papers 142, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Elsa V. Artadi & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2003.
"The Economic Tragedy of the XXth Century: Growth in Africa,"
NBER Working Papers
9865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elsa V. Artadi & Xavier Sala-i-Martín, 2003. "The economic tragedy of the XXth Century: Growth in Africa," Economics Working Papers 684, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1996.
"The Nature of Institutional Impediments to Economic Development,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
233429, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- Pranab Bardhan., 1996. "The Nature of Institutional Impediments to Economic Development," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C96-066, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1996. "The Nature of Institutional Impediments to Economic Development," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt8w12j7q1, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sch:wpaper:243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.