The Growing Rural -Urban Disparity: Some Issues
The paper critically examines the understanding, approach and indicators that have been used to measure the degree of disparity. It is true that disparity exists everywhere. However, this paper focuses on disparities existing between rural and urban areas. In this context, the paper talks about ‘why’ and ‘how’ disparities exist between rural and urban areas. The study suggests that ‘income’ is not a sufficient indicator to capture the magnitude of disparities at any level. It is, therefore, necessary to develop some other indicators representing human resource development and infrastructure facility to understand the growing rural-urban divide.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nagarabhavi, Bangalore - 560072|
Web page: http://www.isec.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1999. "The Rural-Urban Divide: Economic Disparities and Interactions in China," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293309, December.
- K N M Raju & P H Rayappa & M Sivakami, 2004. "Normative and Actual Provision of Antenatal Health Care Services in Karnataka," Working Papers 145, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Scarlett Epstein, T. & Jezeph, David, 2001. "Development--There is Another Way: A Rural-Urban Partnership Development Paradigm," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1443-1454, August.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992.
"Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis,"
NBER Working Papers
4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Mahendra Dev, 1988. "Regional Disparities in Agricultural Labour Productivity and Rural Poverty in India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 167-205, July.
- Mathur, Ashok, 1983. "Regional Development and Income Disparities in India: A Sectoral Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(3), pages 475-505, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sch:wpaper:156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.