An Application of Sparse Methods to Solving a Multi-Country Model With Rational Expectations
Anderson and Moore� presents a procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models and Andersonn[Anderson1993] shows how to apply this technique to non linear models. The technique requires eigenvalue computations for a sparse linear system to deal with the long run dynamics and computations with large sparse band diagonal matrices for computing the nonlinear trajectory of the model variables. This paper applies methods for exploiting the special structure of these band diagonal linear systems Bai's SRRIT algorithm [Bai and Stewart1992] for computing vectors spanning the invariant space of a sparse linear system. These techniques dramatically reduce computational requirements while enhancing the accuracy and robustness of the original algorithm. The paper presents solution results for a variant of the multicountry model presented in Edison, Marques and Tyon�
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilli, Manfred & Pauletto, Giorgio, 1997. "Sparse direct methods for model simulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1093-1111, June.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980.
"Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1983. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1169-85, July.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear RationalExpectations Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Pierre LAFFARGUE, 1990. "Résolution d'un modèle macroéconomique avec anticipations rationnelles," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 17, pages 97-119.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995. "An alternative methodology for solving nonlinear forward-looking models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 711-734, May.
- Anderson, Gary & Moore, George, 1985. "A linear algebraic procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-252.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf6:_063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.