An Application of Sparse Methods to Solving a Multi-Country Model With Rational Expectations
Anderson and Moore presents a procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models and Andersonn[Anderson1993] shows how to apply this technique to non linear models. The technique requires eigenvalue computations for a sparse linear system to deal with the long run dynamics and computations with large sparse band diagonal matrices for computing the nonlinear trajectory of the model variables. This paper applies methods for exploiting the special structure of these band diagonal linear systems Bai's SRRIT algorithm [Bai and Stewart1992] for computing vectors spanning the invariant space of a sparse linear system. These techniques dramatically reduce computational requirements while enhancing the accuracy and robustness of the original algorithm. The paper presents solution results for a variant of the multicountry model presented in Edison, Marques and Tyon
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Econometrics, University of Geneva, 102 Bd Carl-Vogt, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland|
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1983.
"Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1169-1185, July.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear RationalExpectations Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Anderson, Gary & Moore, George, 1985. "A linear algebraic procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-252.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1990:i:17:p:04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gilli, Manfred & Pauletto, Giorgio, 1997. "Sparse direct methods for model simulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1093-1111, June.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995. "An alternative methodology for solving nonlinear forward-looking models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 711-734, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf6:_063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.