Electricity Intensities of the OECD and South Africa: A Comparison
Improving a countryâ€™s electricity efficiency is considered one of the important ways to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and to meet its commitments concerning climate change mitigation. In this paper, we conduct a comparative analysis between South Africa and OECD membersâ€™ total and sectoral electricity intensities. This is done to establish a sense of South Africaâ€™s relative performance in this regard, to ascertain the possible scope for improvement and, if such scope exists, to determine in which of the industrial sectors
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Newlands on Main, F0301 3rd Floor Mariendahl House, cnr Campground and Main Rds, Claremont, 7700 Cape Town|
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mukherjee, Kankana, 2008. "Energy use efficiency in U.S. manufacturing: A nonparametric analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 76-96, January.
- Markandya, Anil & Pedroso-Galinato, Suzette & Streimikiene, Dalia, 2006. "Energy intensity in transition economies: Is there convergence towards the EU average?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 121-145, January.
- Weber, Christopher L., 2009. "Measuring structural change and energy use: Decomposition of the US economy from 1997 to 2002," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1561-1570, April.
- Bosseboeuf, Didier & Chateau, Bertrand & Lapillonne, Bruno, 1997. "Cross-country comparison on energy efficiency indicators: the on-going European effort towards a common methodology," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7-9), pages 673-682.
- Liddle, Brantley, 2009. "Electricity intensity convergence in IEA/OECD countries: Aggregate and sectoral analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1470-1478, April.
- Jan van Heerden & Reyer Gerlagh & James Blignaut & Mark Horridge & Sebastiaan Hess & Ramos Mabugu & Margaret Mabugu, 2006. "Searching for Triple Dividends in South Africa: Fighting CO2 Pollution and Poverty while Promoting Growth," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 113-142.
- Tiwari, Piyush, 2000. "An analysis of sectoral energy intensity in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 771-778, September.
- Freeman, Scott L. & Niefer, Mark J. & Roop, Joseph M., 1997. "Measuring industrial energy intensity: practical issues and problems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7-9), pages 703-714.
- Zhao, Xiaoli & Ma, Chunbo & Hong, Dongyue, 2010. "Why did China's energy intensity increase during 1998-2006: Decomposition and policy analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1379-1388, March.
- Sebitosi, A.B., 2008. "Energy efficiency, security of supply and the environment in South Africa: Moving beyond the strategy documents," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1591-1596.
- Schipper, Lee & Ting, Michael & Khrushch, Marta & Golove, William, 1997. "The evolution of carbon dioxide emissions from energy use in industrialized countries: an end-use analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7-9), pages 651-672.
- Choi, Ki-Hong & Ang, B. W., 2003. "Decomposition of aggregate energy intensity changes in two measures: ratio and difference," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 615-624, November.
- Kenneth B. Medlock III & Ronald Soligo, 2001. "Economic Development and End-Use Energy Demand," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 77-105.
- Dean Baker, 2003. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Comments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 226-227, Winter.
- Bor, Yunchang Jeffrey, 2008. "Consistent multi-level energy efficiency indicators and their policy implications," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2401-2419, September.
- Streimikiene, Dalia & Ciegis, Remigijus & Grundey, Dainora, 2008. "Promotion of energy efficiency in Lithuania," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 772-789, April.
- Streimikiene, Dalia & Ciegis, Remigijus & Grundey, Dainora, 2007. "Energy indicators for sustainable development in Baltic States," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 877-893, June.
- Mendiluce, María & Pérez-Arriaga, Ignacio & Ocaña, Carlos, 2010. "Comparison of the evolution of energy intensity in Spain and in the EU15. Why is Spain different?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 639-645, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.