Marginal Cost of Indirect Taxation in the presence of a Demerit Externality with an Application to Carbon Dioxide Emissions in Belgium
This paper aims to calculate marginal costs of funds (MCF) in the presence of an externality with demerit properties by using a utility scaling approach. It is an extension of a model put forward by Schroyen (2010). In the empirical section the MCF of indirect taxes in Belgium are calculated taking into account the existence of carbon dioxide emissions as demerit externality. The results reveal that scaling has a significant impact on switches in the ranking of the MCF.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 2001.
"Marginal tax reform, externalities and income distribution,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 343-363, February.
- Inge Mayeres & Stef Proost, 1998. "Marginal Tax Reform, Externalities and Income Distribution," Working Papers Department of Economics ces9832, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Racionero, Maria del Mar, 2001.
"Optimal Tax Mix with Merit Goods,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 628-41, October.
- RACIONERO, Maria del Mar, 1998. "Optimal tax mix with merit goods," CORE Discussion Papers 1998004, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DEL MAR RACIONERO, Maria, . "Optimal tax mix with merit goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1530, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Decoster, Andre & Schokkaert, Erik, 1990. "Tax reform results with different demand systems," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 277-296, April.
- Schob, Ronnie, 1996. "Evaluating Tax Reforms in the Presence of Externalities," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 537-55, October.
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano, 2002. "Cultural heritage as multi-dimensional, multi-value and multi-attribute economic good: toward a new framework for economic analysis and valuation," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 529-558.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:10/656. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.