Portfolio Selection with minimum transaction lots: an approach with dual expected utility
In this paper we analyse the portfolio selectionproblem with minimum transactionlots in the context of non-expected utility theory. We assume that the decisionmaker ranks the alternatives by using a specific DualExpectedUtility. This functionallows portfolio values less or equal a fixed benchmark tobe weighted inadifferent way from values greater than the fixedbenchmark. Under normallydistributedreturns and opportunechoice ofthe benchmark, the suggested approach leads to an NP-complete problemandhas the advantage ofusing mixed linear programming to obtainthe optimal portfolio. We also show resultsobtained by implementing the model on the Italian stock market. (keywords: dual expectedutility, portfolio selection, NP-completeness, linear programming with mixed variables)
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114612
Fax: +39 06 57114771
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/dipartimenti/economia/it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1991. "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-Dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1039-1061.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Floriana Filippini & Marisa Cenci, 2005. "Portfolio selection: a linear approach with dual expected utility," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0048, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Hadar, Josef & Seo, Tae Kun, 1995. "Asset diversification in Yaari's dual theory," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1171-1180, June.
- Mansini, Renata & Speranza, Maria Grazia, 1999. "Heuristic algorithms for the portfolio selection problem with minimum transaction lots," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 219-233, April.
- Benati, Stefano, 2003. "The optimal portfolio problem with coherent risk measure constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 572-584, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtr:wpaper:0050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Telephone for information)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.