On the axiomatics of resource allocation: Interpreting the consistency principle
An allocation rule is consistent if the recommendation it makes for each problem “agrees” with the recommendation it makes for each associated reduced problem, obtained by imagining some agents leaving with their assignments. Some authors have described the consistency principle as a “fairness principle”. Others have written that it is not about fairness, that it should be seen as an “operational principle”. We dispute the particular fairness interpretations that have been offered for consistency, but develop a different and important fairness foundation for the principle, arguing that it can be seen as the result of adding “some” efficiency to a “post-application” and efficiency-free expression of solidarity in response to population changes. We also challenge the interpretations of consistency as an operational principle that have been given, but identify a sense in which such an interpretation can be supported. We review and assess the other interpretations of the principle, as “robustness”, “coherence”, and “reinforcement”.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moreno-Ternero, Juan D. & Roemer, John E., 2012.
"A common ground for resource and welfare egalitarianism,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 832-841.
- MORENO-TERNERO, Juan D. & ROEMER, John E., . "A common ground for resource and welfare egalitarianism," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2400, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MORENO-TERNERO, Juan D. & ROEMER, John E., 2008. "Axiomatic resource allocation for heterogeneous agents," CORE Discussion Papers 2008018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Juan D. Moreno-Ternero & John E. Roemer, 2011. "A common ground for resource and welfare egalitarianism," Working Papers 11.12, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Serizawa, Shigehiro, 2002. "Inefficiency of Strategy-Proof Rules for Pure Exchange Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 219-241, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:roc:rocher:573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriel Mihalache)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.