Regionale Arbeitsmärkte in der „Großen Rezession“: Dynamik regionaler Arbeitslosenquoten in Deutschland, Frankreich und Großbritannien im Krisenjahr 2009
Regional labour markets in the „Great Recession“: The evolution of regional unemployment rates in Germany, France and the United Kingdom in 2009: Contrary to the already encompassing literature on the differentiated effects of the “Great Recession” on states, the article takes a regional economic perspective. The stated research question is “Which factors might explain the spatially unequal development of unemployment rates at the regional level?”. Using a cross-section data-set with the percentage point increase of regional unemployment rates between 2008 and 2009 as the dependent variable and a set of regional and national variables as independent variables, a multiple linear regression model is estimated. After detecting spatial autocorrelation for the OLS-estimators, the model is re-estimated and a spatial error model with ML-estimators is computed. It turns out that the share of low-skilled has a significant positive effect on the change of regional unemployment rates. Furthermore, the financial centres showed a significant better resilience than other regional economies. Because of the strong influence of the national variables in these models, separate models are estimated for France and UK. It is shown that the same variables have quite different effects. This questions the existence of a common explanation for regional unemployment dynamics in Europe.
|Date of creation:||02 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kapitelgasse 5 - 7, 5020 Salzburg|
Phone: +43 662 8044-3700
Fax: +43 662 8044-623
Web page: http://www.uni-salzburg.at/index.php?id=31318
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso ARPAIA & Nicola CURCI, .
"EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession,"
wp2010-6, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Nicola Curci, 2010. "EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession," European Economy - Economic Papers 405, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Curci, Nicola, 2010. "EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession," MPRA Paper 22393, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December.
- Annette Zeilstra & Paul Elhorst, 2006. "Unemployment Rates At the Regional and National Levels of the European Union: An Integrated Analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa06p73, European Regional Science Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:sbgwpe:2010_009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jörg Paetzold)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.