Is the PPP model applicable across sectors?
Focussing on two key features of a PPP - the bundling of construction and operation of an infrastructure asset, for one, and private ownership for another - this paper argues that the PPP model is suitable for some public services but not for others. While the incentive-oriented mechanism of bundling and private ownership fosters cost savings in the provision of public services, such savings might come at the expense of public-interest objectives, which - after all - set public services apart from private goods and services. The challenge then is to find out whether the conditions for cost savings to outweigh departures from public-interest objectives are more likely to exist for some services than for others. This paper answers affirmatively, putting the ease (or difficulty) of contracting on public services - notably their publicinterest objectives - at the heart of the argument.
|Date of creation:||06 Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett, John & Elisabetta Iossa, 2002.
"Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
22, Royal Economic Society.
- Bennett, John & Iossa, Elisabetta, 2006. "Building and managing facilities for public services," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(10-11), pages 2143-2160, November.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2002. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 02-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2004. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Public Policy Discussion Papers 02-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- JOhn Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2005. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 05/137, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:eibpap:2005_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Polyxeni Kanelliadou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.