Organizational Structure and the Choice of Price vs. Quantity in a Mixed Duopoly
We consider the choice of price/quantity by a public and a private firm in a mixed differentiated duopoly. First, we study the way in which the strategic choice of the market variable is affected by different given organizational structures (managerial or entrepreneurial) of the public and the private firm. Second, we investigate how the price/quantity choice interacts with the endogenous choice of the organizational structure, thus determining a subgame perfect equilibrium at which firms choose to behave as price-setters and to adopt a managerial structure.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Patara, 3, 47921 Rimini (RN)|
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luca Lambertini, 1997.
"Strategic Delegation and the Shape of Market Competition,"
97-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Lambertini, Luca, 2000. "Strategic Delegation and the Shape of Market Competition," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(5), pages 550-70, November.
- L. Lambertini, 1996. "Strategic Delegation and the Shape of Market Competition," Working Papers 267, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Marcella Scrimitore, 2013. "Private And Social Gains In Delegation And Sequential Games With Heterogeneous Firms," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 81(4), pages 493-517, 07.
- Patrick Bolton, 1995. "Privatization and the separation of ownership and control: lessons from Chinese enterprise reform," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(1), pages 1-11, 03.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Ogawa, Akira, 2012. "Price versus quantity in a mixed duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 174-177.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz, 2009. "The Decision To Hire Managers In Mixed Markets Under Bertrand Competition," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 376-388.
- Kangsik Choi, 2012. "Price And Quantity Competition In A Unionised Mixed Duopoly: The Cases Of Substitutes And Complements," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 1-22, 03.
- Barros, Fatima, 1995. "Incentive schemes as strategic variables: An application to a mixed duopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 373-386, September.
- Yasuhiko Nakamura & Tomohiro Inoue, 2009. "Endogenous timing in a mixed duopoly: price competition with managerial delegation," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(5), pages 325-333.
- Vickers, John, 1985. "Delegation and the Theory of the Firm," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 138-47, Supplemen.
- White, Mark D., 2001. "Managerial incentives and the decision to hire managers in markets with public and private firms," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 877-896, November.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 927-40, December.
- Luca Lambertini & Christian Schultz, 2001.
"Price or Quantity in Tacit Collusion?,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2001-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Evangelos Mitrokostas & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2011.
"Organizational structure, strategic delegation and innovation in oligopolistic industries,"
2011/09, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Evangelos Mitrokostas & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2014. "Organizational structure, strategic delegation and innovation in oligopolistic industries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Markus Reisinger & Ludwig Ressner, 2009. "The Choice of Prices versus Quantities under Uncertainty," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1155-1177, December.
- Scrimitore, Marcella, 2013. "Price or quantity? The strategic choice of subsidized firms in a mixed duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 337-341.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Corrado Benassi & Alessandra Chirco & Marcella Scrimitore, 2011. "Optimal Manipulation Rules in a Mixed Duopoly," Working Paper Series 43_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:27_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.