Time to Build and Shipping Prices
This paper quantifies the impact of demand uncertainty and time to build on prices, investment and surplus in the world bulk shipping industry. We explore the impact of both construction lags and the lengthening of delivery lags in periods of high investment activity by constructing a dynamic model of ship entry and exit. A rich dataset of second-hand ship sales provides direct information on key dynamic objects of the model and allows for their nonparametric estimation. We are able to estimate a ship's value function directly and use it to recover entry costs, scrap values and per period payoffs. We find that moving from time-varying, to constant, to no time to build reduces the level and volatility prices, while increasing entry and consumer (i.e. shipper) surplus. As the duration of time to build can be steered by shipbuilding subsidies, the findings of this paper provide also a first step in examining the impact of such subsidization programs -prevalent in China, South Korea and Japan- on the shipping industry.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010.
"Leasing and Secondary Markets: Theory and Evidence from Commercial Aircraft,"
28821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandro Gavazza, 2011. "Leasing and Secondary Markets: Theory and Evidence from Commercial Aircraft," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(2), pages 325 - 377.
- Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Martin Pesendorfer, 2003.
"Estimation of a Dynamic Auction Game,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1443-1489, 09.
- Patrick Bajari & C. Lanier Benkard & Jonathan Levin, 2007.
"Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1331-1370, 09.
- Bajari, Patrick & Benkard, C. Lanier & Levin, Jonathan, 2007. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Research Papers 1852r1, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- J. Levin & P. Bajari, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," 2004 Meeting Papers 579, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Levin (Stanford University) & Pat Bajari & Lanier Benkard, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 627, Econometric Society.
- Patrick Bajari & C. Lanier Benkard & Jonathan Levin, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," NBER Working Papers 10450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Ryan, 2006.
"The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry,"
2006 Meeting Papers
9, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Stephen P. Ryan, 2012. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1019-1061, 05.
- Stephen Ryan, 2005. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Working Papers 0510, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010.
"The role of trading frictions in real asset markets,"
25781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandro Gavazza, 2011. "The Role of Trading Frictions in Real Asset Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1106-43, June.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Asset liquidity and financial contracts: Evidence from aircraft leases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 62-84, January.
- repec:cas:wpaper:cas_rn_2007_4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roar Adland & Steen Koekebakker, 2007. "Ship Valuation Using Cross-Sectional Sales Data: A Multivariate Non-Parametric Approach," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(2), pages 105-118, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:661. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.