Free-Riding And Delegation In Research Teams
This paper analyzes a two-player game of strategic experimentation with three-armed exponential bandits, where players have to decide in continuous time how to distribute their endowment flow over the arms of their respective bandit. Players face replica bandits, with one arm that is safe in that it generates a known payoff, whereas the likelihood of the risky arms' yielding a positive payoff is initially unknown. It is common knowledge that the types of the two risky arms are perfectly negatively correlated. I show that the efficient policy is incentive-compatible if, and only if, the stakes are high enough. Moreover, learning will be complete in any Markov perfect equilibrium if, and only if, the stakes exceed a certain threshold.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Valimaki, 1996.
"Learning and Strategic Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1113, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bergin, James & MacLeod, W Bentley, 1993. "Continuous Time Repeated Games," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 21-37, February.
- Dinah Rosenberg & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2007.
"Social Learning in One-Arm Bandit Problems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1591-1611, November.
- Kaylan Chatterjee & Robert Evans, 2004. "Rivals' Search for Buried Treasure: Competition and Duplication in R&D," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(1), pages 160-183, Spring.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady & Martin Cripps, 2005.
"Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 39-68, 01.
- Godfrey Keller & Martin Cripps, 2003. "Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits," Economics Series Working Papers 143, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Cripps, Martin & Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2003. "Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits," Discussion Papers in Economics 4, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Cripps, Martin William & Keller, R Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2003. "Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits," CEPR Discussion Papers 3814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bolton & Christopher Harris, 1999. "Strategic Experimentation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(2), pages 349-374, March.
- Rady, Sven & Keller, Godfrey, 2010.
"Strategic experimentation with Poisson bandits,"
Econometric Society, vol. 5(2), May.
- Sven Rady & Godfrey Keller, 2007. "Strategic Experimentation with Poisson Bandits," 2007 Meeting Papers 332, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2009. "Strategic Experimentation with Poisson Bandits," Discussion Papers in Economics 10575, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2009. "Strategic Experimentation with Poisson Bandits," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 260, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Keller, R Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2009. "Strategic Experimentation with Poisson Bandits," CEPR Discussion Papers 7270, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Johannes Horner & Alessandro Bonatti, 2009.
2009 Meeting Papers
1019, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 2005. "Strategic Experimentation with Undiscounted Bandits," 2005 Meeting Papers 473, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:67:y:2000:i:2:p:213-34 is not listed on IDEAS
- Camargo, Braz, 2007. "Good news and bad news in two-armed bandits," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 558-566, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed009:253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.