Intra-day Patterns in the Returns, Bidask Spereads, and Trading Volume of Stocks Traded on the New York Stock Exchange
Much research has demonstrated the existence of patterns in high-frequency equity returns, return volatility, bid-ask spreads and trading volume. In this paper, we employ a new test for detecting periodicities based on a signal coherence function. The technique is applied to the returns, bid-ask spreads, and trading volume of thirty stocks traded on the NYSE. We are able to confirm previous findings of an inverse J-shaped pattern in spreads and volume through the day. We also demonstrate that such intraday effects dominate day of the week seasonalities in spreads and volumes, while there are virtually no significant periodicities in the returns data. Our approach can also leads to a natural method for forecasting the time series, and we find that, particularly in the case of the volume series, the predictions are considerably more accurate than those from naïve methods.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA|
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-835, July.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " Variations in Trading Volume, Return Volatility, and Trading Costs: Evidence on Recent Price Formation Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 187-211, March.
- Upson, Roger B., 1972. "Random Walk and Forward Exchange Rates: A Spectral Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 1897-1905, September.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 835-837, July.
- Hilliard, Jimmy E, 1979. "The Relationship between Equity Indices on World Exchanges," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 103-114, March.
- Yadav, Pradeep K. & Pope, Peter F., 1992. "Intraweek and intraday seasonalities in stock market risk premia: Cash and futures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 233-270, February.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-trading Periods: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1603-1614, December.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 1991.
"Spectral based testing of the martingale hypothesis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1992. "Spectral Based Testing of the Martingale Hypothesis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chan, K C & Christie, William G & Schultz, Paul H, 1995. "Market Structure and the Intraday Pattern of Bid-Ask Spreads for NASDAQ Securities," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(1), pages 35-60, January.
- Bertoneche, Marc L., 1979. "Spectral analysis of stock market prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 201-208, July.
- Fong, Wai Mun & Ouliaris, Sam, 1995. "Spectral Tests of the Martingale Hypothesis for Exchange Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 255-271, July-Sept.
- Jain, Prem C. & Joh, Gun-Ho, 1988. "The Dependence between Hourly Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 269-283, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)