Two Depressions, One Banking Collapse
The depression of the 1890s in Australia was associated with the collapse of the banking system, whereas problems in the financial system during the 1930s depression were far less severe. This is despite the fact that the initial macroeconomic shock during the 1930s depression was at least as large as that during the 1890s depression. We show that variation in the performance of the financial sector during the two depressions was due to differences in the condition of the financial sector well before each depression. Differences in real external factors and government policies were not sufficient to explain variation in the performance of the financial sector.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rba.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rba.gov.au/forms/rdp-order-form/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David T. Merrett, 1993. "The 1893 Bank Crashes and Monetary Aggregates," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9303, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Milton Friedman & Anna J. Schwartz, 1963. "A Monetary History of the United States, 1867–1960," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie63-1, December.
- D.T. Merrett, 1991. "FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS UNDER PRESSURE: ARE THE RIGHT LESSONS BEING LEARNT FROM THE 1890s?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 10(1), pages 1-10, 03.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1990. "Financial Fragility and Economic Performance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 87-114.
- P.D. Jonson & G.R. Stevens, 1983. "The 1930’s and the 1980’s: Some Facts," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp8303, Reserve Bank of Australia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp1999-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.