The Transactions Demand for Money in Chile
This paper examines the transactions demand for money in Chile over the period from 1986 to 2000. Using systems cointegration methods suggested by Johansen (1995), we find that although macroeconomic data for Chile exhibit strong trend-stationarity during this period it is possible to recover relatively robust single-equation specifications for the transactions demand for money. Error-correction models in which money demand is conditioned on real wealth, the level of economic activity, and the nominal Central Bank policy rate provide robust basis for inference. Controlling for a shift in velocity in the end of 1998 the models exhibit a high-degree of out-of-sample predictive power over the period from 1998 to mid 2000.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Queen Elizabeth House 3 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TB United Kingdom|
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dolado, Juan J & Jenkinson, Tim & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1990. " Cointegration and Unit Roots," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 249-73.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Wickham, Peter, 1995.
"The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 317-340, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Arrau, Patricio & DeGregorio, Jose & Wickham, Peter, 1991. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," MPRA Paper 13691, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen & Wickham, Peter, 1991. "The demand for money in developing countries : assessing the role of financial innovation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 721, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Arrau, Patricio & DeGregorio, Jose & Wickham, Peter, 1995. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," MPRA Paper 14096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jose De Gregorio & Peter Wickham & Patricio Arrau & Carmen Reinhart, 1991. "The Demand for Money in Developing Countries; Assessing the Role of Financial innovation," IMF Working Papers 91/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Clements,Michael & Hendry,David, 1998.
"Forecasting Economic Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521634809, December.
- Easterly, William R & Mauro, Paolo & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1995.
"Money Demand and Seigniorage-Maximizing Inflation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 583-603, May.
- Easterly, William & Mauro, Paolo & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1992. "Money demand and seignorage - maximizing inflation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1049, The World Bank.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1987. "Money: Theoretical Analysis of the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 2157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barr, D G & Cuthbertson, Keith, 1991. "Neoclassical Consumer Demand Theory and the Demand for Money," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 855-76, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qeh:qehwps:qehwps60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.